pennsylvania

This is a forum to discuss all your Out Of State hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

gargoyle725
Second Class Scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

pennsylvania

Post by gargoyle725 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:42 am

I was just talking to a coworker and they showed me an ariel pic of their family property in Pennsylvania. I think she said it was 800 acres. So of course I said " Can I go hunt there?" surprisingly I got told " yea I just have to let my mom and dad know, But you cant shoot towards the house. " Well I am not sure she is serious so I say I have a week off next month let me check the private land hunting laws.
I tried to find the regs online but could not find them. I saw licensing and season and bag limits but not private lan rules. Anyone know them or where to find them?
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option
I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lite than Kay.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: pennsylvania

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:08 am

Man I tried reading their fish/game site and its more confusing than ours is. I would try to find a Pennsylvania hunting forum and join it and ask away, just like we have folks on here doing from out of state and have no clue where to start
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

gargoyle725
Second Class Scout

Post by gargoyle725 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:13 am

Good idea thanks
I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lite than Kay.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:03 am

for starters theres no semi auto shotgun or rifles allowed, not sure about handguns. I'd pretty much expect some shotgun/muzzle only areas and maybe no sunday hunting in certain areas. key in on the exact area you plan to hunt. just remember what Robert Diniro said when hunting there in the deer hunter "this is this".
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

skull
scout

Post by skull » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:22 am

for starters theres no semi auto shotgun or rifles allowed, not sure about handguns. I'd pretty much expect some shotgun/muzzle only areas and maybe no sunday hunting in certain areas. key in on the exact area you plan to hunt. just remember what Robert Diniro said when hunting there in the deer hunter "this is this".
semi shotgun are fine, no sunday hunting at all! , hand guns are fine with a ccp or a sportsman lic. NO SEMMI HAND GUNS

"private lan rules"
I don't believe we have a anything called private land rules,
private land is covered by general rules, you cant do anything on privet land you cant do on public. other then build a permanent stand .
It will be smart to have a written permission slip with you at all times.
You will need a general lic. and that will come with your buck tag and spring and fall turkey tags.it also comes with your small game lic.
Out of state lic. is I think 126.00 ,
what you wont to do is find out what county they are in first,
some county's are shot gun only and antler restriction of 4 on one side why the rest of the state is 3 points on one side.
I don't know how old you are but you will need a lic from another state or a hunters ed card . if you under 16 you will need to hunt with a adult .
your best move would be to get a doe tag or 2 witch are 26.00 for out of stater's .
If you get your fur takers tag you can hunt coyotes and fox 24/7 with the aid of a light .
You may only shoot one buck, BUT as many does as you get tags for.
if your a gun hunter you will need 250 squ inches of fluorescent orange chest , back , head and have it on at all times.
No semi auto rifles can be used for big game or small game .
if your a bow hunter the time to be here is the week of Halloween the rut will be kicking by then. if you have moltable doe tags you must remove a harvested doe from the wood before taking another . also you cant bait in PA. and the first thing you do after harvesting a deer is tag it even before dressing it.

if you have any question just ask i don't post much here but i am on this sight every day

George

gargoyle725
Second Class Scout

Post by gargoyle725 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:30 am

thanks great info. I am 38yrs old and would probably have my 13yrold with. I use a pump shotgun to hunt and just starting with bow. I will keep researching and try to make a trip later in the year. I mainly want to go for bear.

skull
scout

Post by skull » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:45 am

hunting lic are on sale now and the doe tags will be available for you to apply on July 11 I think.

there are many pluses for your son hunting here he will not have a antler restriction of any kind a buck with 3'' or better is open game for him and they have many youth seasons that start before the adults can hunt.

I have lots of places to hunt and your welcome to come up and hunt with me anytime. if your getting into bow hunting that's the time to come. and you play the dates right at the same times your bow hunting your son can shoot does with a rifle.

shot gun will work for shore, but the big country up state is rifle country . about the bear hunting, we have the biggest black bear in the world here in PA and I see them in the wood all the time but don't be upset if you never see one .

if your looking for your best chance at a bear it would be during the duck rifle season it opens up for a couple days in the rifle season and the hunter after deer push them around. first trip up here i would think more on a monster buck then a bear .

skull
scout

Post by skull » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:49 am

link,,, 2011-12 Hunting Seasons and Bag Limits

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/se ... 240&mode=2

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:15 am

I hunted very close to the PA border but never actualy in the state any info I had was word of mouth and that was from early to mid 90's, thought they didn't allow any autos of any kind. did that change or was it always OK for semi shotguns? being from PA I guess you would know better.

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:17 am

I'm headed up to PA in October for the bow/muzzledoader season - their rules say I can take a buck with the bow, and nanny goats with the smoke pole. Needless to say I plan on getting at least 2 doe tags before I even get in the vehicle to go. Got my license last week - out of state is $101 + change. Bow and muzzleloader stamp were $20 something. It all came out to $152. As Skull mentioned above, applying for doe tags next month. You would not believe the amount of doe tags they are issuing up there.

skull
scout

Post by skull » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:23 am

You shouldn't have any trouble with your first doe tag, that is if you get it in on time ,
I mail my tags Friday so they are there Monday morning.

jbug do you know what WMA your hunting? 5 C WILL HAVE 80 TO 100,000
With many left overs . 5 C is a special regulation area . any other WMA you should get your first doe tag.
but the 2 tag may be tuff.
I hunt 5 C,3 D,3 B.
are you hunting public area or privet?

When you head up to hunt get ahold of me and I will give yea my number in case of emergences .

best of luck to ya, and be safe

George

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:12 pm

I bow hunted in Pa back in 92' and got a little buck. Place is loaded with deer and when I was there there in early Oct the hills were beautiful,full color change going on. My buddy that brought me liked it so much he went back up for the gun season. He said he got put in the back of a truck and got dropped of at a stand and was told to wait there. After daylight he said dozens of deer kept runnig by and he got a 6 point. Then came the army of drivers,he said the woods were full of men wearing Elmer Fudd outfits driving deer,he never seen anything like it before. My point being be prepared for that,you may not be alone on this farm.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:30 pm

the woolrich black and red wool clad army. good sturdy/warm clothes. those Floyd Turbo's killed a lot of deer.

skull
scout

Post by skull » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:39 pm

he said the woods were full of men wearing Elmer Fudd outfits driving deer,he never seen anything like it before.
Its cool to see you talk derogatory about hunter that helped your buddy out.
ELMER FUDD'S LOL
maybe he never seen a organized driving before .bottom line is, it seams ELMER FUDD'S put the deer in front of him.
how many deer went by him you said????

kills me,
these guy went out of there way to help him in getting a deer and he talks bad about them behind thier backs.
my question to you is why drive 1200 miles to shoot a dink 6 point?
just saying,,,,,,,.

PS
We are a group that need to stick together and remarks like in your post don't help .

not angry just disappointed.

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:53 pm

skull wrote:You shouldn't have any trouble with your first doe tag, that is if you get it in on time ,
I mail my tags Friday so they are there Monday morning.

jbug do you know what WMA your hunting? 5 C WILL HAVE 80 TO 100,000
With many left overs . 5 C is a special regulation area . any other WMA you should get your first doe tag.
but the 2 tag may be tuff.
I hunt 5 C,3 D,3 B.
are you hunting public area or privet?

When you head up to hunt get ahold of me and I will give yea my number in case of emergences .

best of luck to ya, and be safe

George
I'll be hunting private property. My last trip was in '02 and '01 during the gun season. Skunk Ape is right. I saw 51 deer on the stand in one day in '01, but only 1 buck. After "laying the lead", I think that ol' boy is still running to this day. '02 was a horizontal snow blast, so didn't see very many at all. My host says that for the zone we're in they plan on issuing 60,000 doe tags. That is up from 57,000 last year. Apparently the hunter numbers dropped off some. I truly hope to get something just so I can get some of that deer bologna again!

Return to “OUT OF STATE HUNTING FORUM”