Anyone Hunting Texas, or Kentucky This Year?

This is a forum to discuss all your Out Of State hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

HAV2HUNT
scout

Anyone Hunting Texas, or Kentucky This Year?

Post by HAV2HUNT » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Anyone Hunting Texas, or Kentucky This Year? I will be hunting in the Hill Country of Texas this December, & Western Kentucky in October & November.

old_tex2
scout

Re: Anyone Hunting Texas, or Kentucky This Year?

Post by old_tex2 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:51 pm

Piney Woods Dec 1st to 7th. Standing tradition. Hope we dont get another "out of State" fee hike! :clap

HAV2HUNT
scout

Post by HAV2HUNT » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:21 pm

That is the same time of year we go. We always hunt the first friday of December, & the rut is usually in full swing.

HAV2HUNT
scout

Post by HAV2HUNT » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:58 am

Nice! What county are they hunting?

Just 1 More
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Just 1 More » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:59 pm

I have permission to hunt a 1000 acre tract of land that I have hunted the last 2 years in Western KY.. not sure if i'll be able to make it back up there this year

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:26 am

I'm going to try and hunt SE Indiana this year. Have access to a couple farms that put out some nice deer.

HAV2HUNT
scout

Post by HAV2HUNT » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:23 am

I'm going to Christian county Kentucky next week to scout a farm I leased.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:56 am

I'd love to get back out to Texas and hunt. We hunted south of San Antonio several years in a row back in the late 70s, early 80s when I was a teenager. Dad had a friend who had some nice leases, and we had open invites anytime we wanted to go. Never did get a deer, though. Had does all under my stand - no doe permits! Saw several big bucks at around 175-200 yards, and all I had was a 30-30 sighted in at 100 yards. If I had my .243 back then, I'd have at least an 8-point on the wall. Got lots of good memories, though, and would jump at the chance to hunt out there again if time, money and opportunity converged at the right time.

Good luck to you guys heading out of state! Bring back the big'uns!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Just 1 More
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Just 1 More » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:59 am

GoodOyster wrote:I'd love to get back out to Texas and hunt. We hunted south of San Antonio several years in a row back in the late 70s, early 80s when I was a teenager. Dad had a friend who had some nice leases, and we had open invites anytime we wanted to go. Never did get a deer, though. Had does all under my stand - no doe permits! Saw several big bucks at around 175-200 yards, and all I had was a 30-30 sighted in at 100 yards. If I had my .243 back then, I'd have at least an 8-point on the wall. Got lots of good memories, though, and would jump at the chance to hunt out there again if time, money and opportunity converged at the right time.

I hunted a place Southwest of San Ann.. Carizzo Springs :cheers

HAV2HUNT
scout

Post by HAV2HUNT » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:31 pm

I hunt the Hill Country in Edwards County. The ranch is 23,000 acres & has Whitetails,Exotics,Turkey & Hogs. It's a great place to hunt & I look forward to going every year. I shot the buck in my avatar there in 2010.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:39 pm

Just 1 More wrote:
GoodOyster wrote:I'd love to get back out to Texas and hunt. We hunted south of San Antonio several years in a row back in the late 70s, early 80s when I was a teenager. Dad had a friend who had some nice leases, and we had open invites anytime we wanted to go. Never did get a deer, though. Had does all under my stand - no doe permits! Saw several big bucks at around 175-200 yards, and all I had was a 30-30 sighted in at 100 yards. If I had my .243 back then, I'd have at least an 8-point on the wall. Got lots of good memories, though, and would jump at the chance to hunt out there again if time, money and opportunity converged at the right time.

I hunted a place Southwest of San Ann.. Carizzo Springs :cheers
I think we were down around Campbellton, due south of SA. We also hunted a ranch somewhere between SA and Kerrville to the northwest. That ranch belonged to our host's brother, and was several thousand acres. They ran cattle on all their land, leased and owned, and it was almost all regular barbed-wire fenced. Deer you saw on their places were true free-range, natural selection deer. The ranch had one section of land that ran along a busy highway for about 3 miles, and they put a 12-foot fence along that area to keep the roadkill to a minimum.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:48 pm

I'm probably going to hunt SE Indiana this year. Finally done with school so I can spend a couple weeks up there during gun season.

HAV2HUNT
scout

Post by HAV2HUNT » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:08 am

I have spots available for a Texas rut deer hunt the first week in December.

Return to “OUT OF STATE HUNTING FORUM”