Colorado Elk

This is a forum to discuss all your Out Of State hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Colorado Elk

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:04 pm

Got together with a bunch of old High School friends last night. One of them is a guy I went with to Co back in 2003 elk huntin. I have been kicking around the idea of going back out there. I sorta wanted to go to New Mexico on an archery hunt. But them sissies don't want to bow hunt it. So it looks like we are going to go back to the same ranch between Steamboat springs and Hayden. And it looks like we are going to do either the 2nd or 3rd rifle hunt instead of the 1st rifle

Guess its time to start saving my pennies and getting back in shape. Not sure if we are gonna try to do it for '12, but definitely in 2013
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Re: Colorado Elk

Post by nachogrande » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:28 pm

I lived and hunted there from 80-83 and we used to go to pretty much the same area, west slope NW corner. although we had 75 acres in Kiowa SE corner and it was loaded with antelope and huge muleys,mt lions and coyotes it had no elk. now I hear the place is lousy with them. hunting the eastside foothills is alot easier and I imagine cheaper plus you can pretty much drive a truck or quad just about anywhere and don't have to deal with extreme altitudes, max about 7,500 feet I'd guess. might be woth checking with fish and game or outfitters. over 10,000 feet is brutal no matter how good shape your in, not to mention walking uphill in waist deep snow.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:30 pm

I've been wanting to do a similar trip. My brother, who lives in Virginia, went several years ago with 8 or 9 other guys. They were down closer to Aspen, about 80 miles south of Steamboat Springs. He got a nice 5x5, and there were a couple of other elk and several muleys killed. With expenses shared amongst them the cost of the trip wasn't too bad. I think they drove 3 full size 4-door 4x4 trucks straight through from Virginia, and stayed a couple of nights at a little motel a few miles from where they were hunting.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

brunyan
scout

Post by brunyan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:01 pm

I'm actually planning a DIY trip with my cousin for CO right now for next year. The more and more I look into the more pumped I get. Going to be pricey tho.
Image GO GATORS!

tap1912
scout

Post by tap1912 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:51 pm

Always wanted to do that but never did, back in the 80's came close, Sent a guide the security for a elk hunt but something came up and had to sell to a friend he killed a trophy in my spot.
Good luck

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:01 pm

When I went in '03 it cost me right at $3k
Back then the license was around $450
I had to pay the rancher $1500. It is non guided, but he does point us in the directions to go where he is seeing elk at. He has a little cabin that we stayed in

And the rest was in meals, processing fee, motels on the road, and gas. It looks like the license fee has gone up to like $550ish, and we all know about gas prices. I am budgeting around $4k this time
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:38 pm

Would love to do it while I can still walk..............
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

Return to “OUT OF STATE HUNTING FORUM”