Archery 6 pt Euro

This is a form to dicsuss all your Taxidermy and show off your mounts!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Archery 6 pt Euro

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:43 pm

Here is the deer I killed on Sept 19. All I do is skin the head out and cut everything I can off. Take the skull and put it in a bucket that it will fit into, and fill it with water. Cover it with something that animals cannot get into, and place downwind from your house. I use 30 gal planter pot and a couple concrete blocks on top.
After about 2 weeks, put on a respirator, uncover, and pour off water/sludge. About 90% of the meat should be off of the skull. Turn on the water hose and flush it out real good. At this point, I use a squirt of dish soap, and back in the bucket and cover with water. Repeat (pouring off/flushing/dish soap/water) every 2-3 days or so. A few more days and all the meat should be gone. Trust me, every speck of meat has to be off. If not the smallest piece will cause a foul smell. Then I start mixing in a scoop of baking soda and a scoop of borax, along with a squirt of dish soap, and changing it every 2-3 days again.. The grease that is in the skull is what causes it to yellow. It's imperative to get that out. That is the stage I am at here. I've been doing the baking soda-borax-soap since Friday. I have found this process to be the best. I have tried boiling them, burying them, and they seem to come out the best this way. It is a bit time consuming, but worth the wait and cannot be rushed. All of the small bones will be un damaged. The teeth and nose bones will fall out, but will get re-glued later. There are a couple more steps I do, and I'll add them to this thread when I get to that stage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

mick
Senior Patrol Leader

Re: Archery 6 pt Euro

Post by mick » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:40 pm

Looks Good!

Return to “TAXIDERMY”