deer feet?

This is a form to dicsuss all your Taxidermy and show off your mounts!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

deer feet?

Post by swissk31 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:11 pm

I was thinking for making a gun rack with the deer legs. currently they are salted, completely salted. Anyone have experience with them and if I can work with what I have.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: deer feet?

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:38 am

There are kits you can buy to do gun racks
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

DaveT
Second Class Scout

Post by DaveT » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:21 am

You can probably use what you have, but need to take it a little further....there are many, many ways that this can be done....like using the kits, etc. Here are some basics....

Done the proper way, the foot is skinned out, with everything removed inside, preserved, and put back on a foot form, which is available from a taxidermy supply. Some of these forms will use the existing hooves, and some will have the hooves cast in to the form so you are just using the skin. Both methods require skinning and preserving, the cast in hooves form does not require sewing, but glueing instead. You can use borax or a taxidermy dry preservative.

OR...you can buy freeze dried feet, drill out the bone marrow, epoxy in (where the marrow came out) some all thread, and mount to a board.....and use some clear gloss on the hooves....I can tell you where to get these freeze dried feet.

You can also use the exisiting feet in this manner, drill out the marrow, soak in water/borax mixture, dry, preserved, install all thread, and mount. All methods look best if you use a deer foot ferrule for a clean transition where the foot meets the board.

There are many variations of these methods, including leaving the feet in a freezer, unwrapped, and letting them dry out good, then drilling out the marrow, and so on, in any case, just salting them wont completely do it, as much of the marrow as possible needs to be out....really the best way is to remove everything but skin and hoof, or skin, bone and hoof, with all marrow, cartlidge, flesh, etc. removed, then preserved, then mounted. If you dont do these steps, you can expect stink and hair loss, seen it happen....anything that can rot, usually does and it smells.

If you need help, or have questions on how to proceed or where to get supplies....let me know, be glad to help.
http://WWW.TampaTaxidermy.com

Sometimes I wake up Grumpy.....but mostly I just let her sleep....

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by swissk31 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Thanks for the thorough answer, I knew there was more that is needed. I salted them to hold them stable. Many ways to go. I want to keep the original hooves they are pretty, so I am looking at skinning, tanning, and adding a form or removing all I can of the things that will break down and smell (rot). For my first attempt on the feet from my first deer I should go with the skinning and form method. If you could direct me to the products you'd recommend that would be great.

DaveT
Second Class Scout

Post by DaveT » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:11 pm

swissk31 wrote:Thanks for the thorough answer, I knew there was more that is needed. I salted them to hold them stable. Many ways to go. I want to keep the original hooves they are pretty, so I am looking at skinning, tanning, and adding a form or removing all I can of the things that will break down and smell (rot). For my first attempt on the feet from my first deer I should go with the skinning and form method. If you could direct me to the products you'd recommend that would be great.

I will post some info for you later tonite..

DaveT
Second Class Scout

Post by DaveT » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:26 am

Okay...sorry about the delay....here is some info for you....go to

www.taxidermy.com/cat/12/feet.html

here you will find drawings, examples, forms, ferrules, and at the bottom you can click on another link that will show you step by step color pics of how to skin and remount the feet on a form with hooves...
you dont need to have these tanned, just use a good dry preservative...they will be fine....

hope it helps....good luck.....
dave

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by swissk31 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks for the link and info, looks like that will get me off to a good start.
The hooves are quite pretty I can't wait. I have an old 1889 swiss rifle that I want to hang with them. The gun can't be shot until I learn to reload or some company starts making ammo for it.

DaveT
Second Class Scout

Post by DaveT » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:10 am

If you need the wood panel for it...let me know....I can get them in solid oak or solid walnut......not laminated....very nice.....

dave

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by swissk31 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:36 pm

Dave,
Thanks for the wood panel info. Jay and I have made a lot of the furniture in the house and still have wood for more projects. I will post the project when it's done.
Amanda

Return to “TAXIDERMY”