Latest Euro mount

This is a form to dicsuss all your Taxidermy and show off your mounts!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Latest Euro mount

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:20 pm

Here is my little archery spike, killed second week of bow season. Literally cut the head off and chunked it in this old cooler I use for macerating, and filled with water. Closed lid and put a couple concrete blocks on it. I checked it last week, and it wasn't quite ready. It was ready over the weekend, but I just didn't have time to get to it
Today i drug it over to the creek and let the :puke out of the cooler, flushed with water and made sure all the teeth were accounted for. When I had all the parts accounted for, I rinsed the cooler out really well, and flushed the skull out really well

Back in the cooler with some Dawn dish soap and ammonia, for the degreasing stage. This euro should be ready to put on the shelf with the rest of his cousins in a week or so. Very little grease in the skull at all

So far, time involved: 10 minutes
Money involved: $2.49 for dawn soap, $1.09 for bottle of ammonia. I will have less than $10 and less than 30 minutes labor when this is all said and done
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

karlyk
scout

Re: Latest Euro mount

Post by karlyk » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:28 pm

nice job,, just gotta remeber not to ask to borrow one of your coolers :eek

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:06 pm

karlyk wrote:nice job,, just gotta remeber not to ask to borrow one of your coolers :eek
Yeah this one is dedicated to skull rotting. It doesn't even get a spot on the floor in my shed
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

swampboy
scout

Post by swampboy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:15 pm

Lookin good!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Another euro mount complete!

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:26 pm

That bright from just soaking and amonia? Looks good! Did the antlers lighten up a bit? They look darker in the first pic. Hopefully not a stupid question, but did you skin the head before you let it soak the first time? I hope to do this "if" I ever kill a buck!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:57 pm

Kortsman wrote:That bright from just soaking and amonia? Looks good! Did the antlers lighten up a bit? They look darker in the first pic. Hopefully not a stupid question, but did you skin the head before you let it soak the first time? I hope to do this "if" I ever kill a buck!

Ammonia is used in the degreasing stage. The bone is full of grease, oil, and fats that have to be leached out. Ammonia is supposed to help, but I didn't find it did any more than good ole fashioned soap and water did, with a splash of Wal mart degreaser. The antlers bleached out due to operator error. I had the skull propped up in the degreasing stage with the antlers out, but my wife decided to move the bucket, not knowing it was one of my redneck concoctions scientifically placed in there. Just needed a dab of good ole MinWax to recolor. Once its degreased completely, then you have to whiten it. Can't give away all the trade secrets....

They look much darker in the first pic above because they were wet. if you look at the pic I took when I shot him, its almost a perfect match now after re-staining. I did hit them with a piece of steel wool after I snapped these pics to knock the sheen off

To answer your question...No I did not skin the head out. No need to. Nothing is sped up by skinning them out. Maceration is a bacterial deal, more than a rotting deal. The more bacteria, the better. You will truthfully be surprised how all the gunk breaks down to almost nothing if done right. Just cut the head off, toss in a container, fill with water, and forget it for a while

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by DONY1 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:26 am

Looks good Allen. :toast I decided to give it a try myself. I donated a cooler to the cause and have a gator skull soaking for the last 2 weeks now.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:21 am

hellbilly wrote:Dang Allen, I really need to get my bear skull to you,that looks great. My stepdad made me a table top display plaque for it,just need to get it done now.Awsome job :rockon
I thought you gave up on me :pinch

I'm ready to do that skull when you are

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:03 am

Doug, don't rush that gator. Haven't personally done one, but heard they are full of grease and take quite a while.

Now it is cooler out and I don't have the hot sunshine to heat the water, I bought an aquarium heater. Got this one at Pet Supermarket for like $15.99
http://www.petsupermarket.com/Products/ ... 03467.aspx

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:15 pm

Very nice! I boiled my gator head and might do this instead next time.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:11 am

My Muzzleloader 7 point, killed Halloween weekend

Here it is after I took it out of maceration, and after initial cleaning

And here it is all degreased, and starting the whitening process. Should be ready to hang on the wall by end of the week

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:15 am

You do great work. :toast
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

MOSSYNUT
scout

Post by MOSSYNUT » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:33 pm

Those mounts look great. I just wish you would let us in on the secret to whiten them up.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:05 pm

Didn't mean to come across like it was a trade secret or anything. Here it is...

Return to “TAXIDERMY”