coral snake skin tanning

This is a form to dicsuss all your Taxidermy and show off your mounts!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Star Scout

coral snake skin tanning

Post by 30.06 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:12 pm

killed a coral snake outside my grampas house. Thought it would make an interesting hatband. it was 3', i cleaned it cut it down to about 2', and put it in kosher salt to dry out. my first attempt at preserving a hide/skin.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

HeneryHawk
scout
Hunt or Fish: Fisher

Re: coral snake skin tanning

Post by HeneryHawk » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:47 pm

I think team mule borax is a better preservative. You also can get Wasco reptile tan online pretty cheap (it goes a long ways when only doing snakes). I also did a couple gators with it.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:20 am

Neither one will work well for what you are wanting to do.
Need to do a wet cure

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/Reptile ... 552AE.html
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

HeneryHawk
scout
Hunt or Fish: Fisher

Post by HeneryHawk » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Neither one will work well for what you are wanting to do.
Need to do a wet cure

Wasco reptile tan is wet. You mix the powder with water, soak overnight, then tack it flat and let it dry. They also have a oil to rub in and try to soften it up but I never have used it. Do you ever make it to Brooksville, if so I may have extra of both that you could use to tan and oil the hide.

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:47 am

dont make it to brooksville often, and i read online that you should use glycerin to soak it in, but that is now a restricted substance. it looks good, and i will make sure to take it out of the salt, and if i get a wet cure of some kind will try n redo it. thanks for the info ya'll.

HCON3
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by HCON3 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:14 pm

Might try this if you can find the Glyerin someone said CVS.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:01 pm

glycerine banned, why? whats next?. no more glycerin suppositories, gonna be a lot of old folks backed up to Hoboken.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:32 pm

Find someone who makes biodiesel - glycerine is a by-product of the process.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:24 am

finally i got some glycerin to finish tanning this snakeskin. i think it came out great i am gonna make a hat band eventually.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CitySlicker
Tenderfoot

Post by CitySlicker » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:39 pm

Thanks for killing a snake that is rarely seen in the wild for no reason. Never saw the actual snake killing season posted on the FWC site, but I'm sure you know the rules much better than I do.
Guess I'll have to read all the neg. posts when I get back from scouting Sunday.

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:50 pm

it is all good cityslicker this wasnt done on a wma. and when a poisonous snake creeps onto my handicapped 89 yr old grandfathers porch it dies. the end. now the one in upper hillsborough that slithered over my buddys foot one day while scouting that one goes free. not the first i have killed on my grampas property nor will it be the last. i made use of the snake for what i could.

CitySlicker
Tenderfoot

Post by CitySlicker » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:40 am

Yeah didn't really read you killed it on Granpa's porch. Just a rarely seen beautiful snake. I have seen maybe 3 of them in 22 of hunting Florida. Just don't want to promote killing snakes for no reason particlarly on state land. My uncles hunting partner killed a diamondback a couple of years ago during turkey season, and all the snake was doing is crossing a road on thier way out. I scolded him for his actions, made him skin it up, and fed it to the boys for supper. Good luck with the tanning process.

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:22 pm

they are a beautiful snake. thats why i am trying to use it best i can. the only way i would kill a snake on wma is if it is a python, or is aggresively chasing me. I am in their territory and i understand from shows that i watch, that i probably walk by snakes all the time in the woods and never know it. should have seen my friend jump when i told him snake after a 3' coral basically slithered over his feet. if i ever do kill a big rattler i will def eat it, my grandfather ate quite a bit in texas when he was younger and i understand it is especially tasty fried, or in chili.

Return to “TAXIDERMY”