TURKEY MOUNTS

This is a form to dicsuss all your Taxidermy and show off your mounts!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

deutze
Second Class Scout

TURKEY MOUNTS

Post by deutze » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:08 am

asked this question before, got no answer. anyone know the "right" way to handle a turkey you want mounted? IE; how the taxidermist would like to recieve it. frozen untouched/uncut, refrigerated/uncut, is it ok to gut it only and maybe filet the breasts out? never really thought of a turkey mount til I saw that nice one a few weeks ago.

HeavyD
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: TURKEY MOUNTS

Post by HeavyD » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:09 am

leave it whole, dry wrap in newspaper if you need to freeze it for a while talk to the taxidermist about the breastmeat
There are no limits, except the ones we put on ourselves.

down4dacount
Second Class Scout

Post by down4dacount » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:28 am

Do not gut , I usually put mine in a black garbage bag head first in , fan nicely closed and not squeezed , feet on the outside of fan to avoid damage to feathers of fan . Kind of wrap excess bag and tape together and avoid water in bag . If needed use to bags , freeze as soon as possible . You can have a bird done this way for up to a year . But the faster you get the bird to taxidermy the better your mount will look . The main thing is to take care of it once you shoot it , till you get it to taxidermist . Avoid leaving in sun , don't stuff in vest and beat it around . Good Luck
Whack Em and Stack Em Pro Staff
ShotKam Prostaff
Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me

deutze
Second Class Scout

Post by deutze » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:33 am

thanks for the responses. hopefully I'll be meeting up with that big boy before someone else does.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:45 pm

Ray hit on the head. Speaking of which, don't worry about jellying the head on one with a load of #5's. Most taxidermists use a freeze dried head on your mount
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Flhawghuntr
scout

Post by Flhawghuntr » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:22 pm

The best way to get your bird to your taxidermist is by removing the tail. It is really the only thing that cannot be fixed if the feathers break. You remove the tail by looking for the oil glands in front of the tail. You will have your fan and one set of smaller feathers in front of the main fan. When you find the oil gland I always cut my out. I usually take the oil from the gland and rub it on extra sets of spurs as it is really a nice oil. Back to cutting the tail off. When you find the area where the glad is you take a sharp knife and cut as close to the quills without cutting through them. Once you get to the bottom turn your knife towards the rear of the bird and remove the tail leaving the butt feathers intact. So all you will have is the fan and the first set of feathers in front of fan. Close it up and put it in a plastic bag. I usually stick toilet paper in the mouth so blood does not get on feathers as it is hard to get off even in the process of cleaning. Never pick your bird up by the neck you intend to mount. Also when you are transporting your bird try to lay it on the breast. When shipping or freezing your bird put it in a big plastic bag with the head tucked under it's wing. Taxidermist are miracle workers but the better you take care of your bird before you take your bird to him the better it will turn out.

MIke

Return to “TAXIDERMY”