Albino deer

A place to discuss General Hunting Subjects like hunting stories, And General stuff to do with hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Albino deer

Post by Bossman » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:24 pm

Ok my wife is a city slicker She never got into the hunting thing... "There's too many bugs" I guess 3-4 years ago my wife was going to work and said that she saw a white deer. Oh she even said the whole thing was solid white. Where she told me she saw it was in the back yard of somebodys house. Like 40 yards from the house, well a friend and I told her that she just saw a white goat. I had the most fun with that one, every time we passed by that place I'd suddenly say "Look a white goat!" She would always tell me that it was a deer. Man I got all of the good out of that fun even told her two weeks "Look a white goat!" I'm sure all of you guys that have non hunting wives have a little fun like that once and a while. My wife always riding my azzz about paying attention to the road and stop looking for deer. On the way home today I was looking for deer as normal when I all of a sudden I said to my self "Wait" that was a white deer! So I slapped the blinker on and hit the brakes. I got to turn around and go see this thing. As I get turned around there was nobody behind me for miles so I was able to ride back to that area slow looking for this thing that I thought was a white deer. When I saw it I was able to pull off of the road and have a good look because it just stood there for 1 minute or so. I'll be a son of a gun, there it stood an albino deer solid white except one round patch on it's butt maybe 6" After It slowly walked away the first thing that I did was to call the wife and tell her that I was wrong and she was right. The deer that I saw was only 200 yards away from the place that she claimed 3-4 years ago that she had seen a solid white deer. Dang!

:saluting
Bossman

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Re: Albino deer

Post by houseofmicah » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:51 pm

piebald. that would be cool to see. there are a couple areas up north that have a high concentration of piebalds and albinos and some of those areas those particular deer are protected. there was a guy in w&w a couple years back that got a nice buck that was like that.

OldCrab
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by OldCrab » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Eating Crow sucks
Calling illegal aliens “undocumented workers” is like calling drug dealers “unlicensed pharmacists”…

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:52 pm

Used to be a herd of 8 or more albino deer on Jekyll Island, GA. These were true albinos with pink eyes, nose, etc. We lived on the island in the late '70s, and saw them occasionally in our yard and other places around the island. I seem to recall someone telling me the albino herd got wiped out over the years as traffic on the island increased.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:48 am

There was a sighting of a piebald deer near brooksville a few years back.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:07 am

We need pictures? Lol
I like animals, they are tasty!

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:14 pm

sam03 wrote:We need pictures? Lol
It's a typical Big Foot picture... blury
Bossman

Jerome
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Jerome » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:40 pm

I've seen many up north .... Very cool

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:06 pm

Been hearing about a white deer in our neck of the woods for several years. Very reliable witnesses had told me about it. Then last year my wife and I had the priviledge of seeing her on 3 different occasions. My first response was like that of Bossman, "There's a goat in the road", but as we got closer we realized it was a white deer, not an albino, as she had brown ears and face. She moved into some scrub oaks and thought she was hidden, just like any other deer, but she stood out with the white body. All the time she was about 30' from the car, no camera. 2 other times just a glimps as she crossed the road. Quite a sight! Treefarmer

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:15 pm

There's some white squirrels over near Lake Talquin...LOL..........
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:27 pm

We had a strain of Piebald's in Lafayette HC back in the 90's. When I was running dogs we ran a bunch. I remember one time I ran up and down a road trying to catch what I thought was one of our walker hounds. Turns out it was a barely legal spike with the almost same color pattern as our dog
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:07 am

Saw a piebald doe on the way to work morning. Turned around and went back for a picture but she had already gone back into the woods...
I like animals, they are tasty!

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:31 pm

Well once again I saw the albino deer, this time she was only about 15 yards in the woods and I had pulled off the road and stopped after I turned around to see her. It was once again to close to dark for the picture to come out very clear. If she keeps it up I'll see her in the day light and get a good picture.

:saluting
Bossman

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:12 pm

I think they are more active at night, avoiding the sun due to their lack of pigmentation and sensitive eyesight. We only saw them on Jekyll Island if we spooked one in the woods while playing. They always bedded down in deep cover with lots of shade. In the year and half we lived there we saw them a probably a dozen times at night, or right at dusk. I can remember spooking them twice in the woods, both times just does and fawns. Don't recall ever spooking the bucks, although we did see one with a decent rack (6-8 points) standing under a streetlight one night when we came around the corner in our neighborhood.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:27 pm

The white doe with the brown ears and face that I mentioned earlier, was killed during doe week. The dude that killed her posted it on Facebook and caught a lot of flak! My wife saw the picture on a friends phone (we don't do Facebook) , point is the deer was legal but most folks, even we hunters would probably have let her walk as she had been around for several years. Treefarmer

Return to “GENERAL HUNTING DISCUSSION FORUM”