Trimmers /saws /and such

A place to discuss General Hunting Subjects like hunting stories, And General stuff to do with hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

OldCrab
Assistant Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Trimmers /saws /and such

Post by OldCrab » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:20 pm

My lease is all ready marked for pine tree cutting ,every 4th row is getting trimmed out to allow the rest to grow - but the water has to dry out alot before they can access it or they will lose some equipment -- So I gotta do some trimming of the non pines /shrubs and scrub stuff to make some shootin lanes / feeder areas - no power but generators which I could use on a cart and some cords and use my existing electrical hedge trimmer /elect chainsaw /sawzall handtools - If I got to buy other tools/ gas tools what do ya suggest ?

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Trimmers /saws /and such

Post by treefarmer » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:08 pm

I've had good service from ECHO brand equipment. Chainsaw, hedge trimmer and a tiny little roto-tiller (same as a Mantis) all ECHO made and work well. There is a good local dealer which means a lot when something does go wrong. Probably a chainsaw and a good set of pruning hooks would be all you would need for the work you described. There is no practical way to know what the timber people will do. I would suggest doing what you think best, then don't be aggravated when they turn everything upside down. Been there and done that several times, even with them cutting timber during the season. Good luck!
Treefarmer

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Trimmers /saws /and such

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:27 am

You are in a bit of a catch 22 until they cut. First of all, you don't know when they will cut. It may be in May, November or next year. Knowing they are going to cut, I would do minimal work, as you don't want to have all your work be for nothing....

A gas pole saw, a pair of loppers, and believe it or not a weedeater can make short order of some brush with a couple guys working. I got the chain saw attachment to go on my weedeater. Not the best but it does the job I need to do (I priced the Stihl pole saw and they were like $600).
I can tell you this..after they cut it improves the hunting 1000%. Go in after they cut and soon as the surge growth starts, fertilize the crap out of it with 10-10-10
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Return to “GENERAL HUNTING DISCUSSION FORUM”