CWP while hunting

A place to discuss General Hunting Subjects like hunting stories, And General stuff to do with hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

CWP while hunting

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:58 pm

Pancreatittis? Abd?

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.

eaj1010
scout

Re: CWP while hunting

Post by eaj1010 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:59 pm

I carry a Tech Nine With a homemade holster made from an old pair of panty hose, two zip ties (the big ones) a bungee cord and a paper clip. Under my camo trench coat. If I am not carrying the tech nine I carry the M&P 40 with the shoulder holster. Not sure on the brand the guy sells them at every gun show. He is the owner of the company that makes them I think.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:14 pm

nachogrande wrote:Nice pic Dave & pretty accurate. Whether the OP is packing a derringer or not is pretty personal and definitely off topic. Losing 11 lbs since Saturday, I might be just a tad bit grouchy & not my normal happy go lucky self. ANYWAY, if hunting legally and your handgun fits the bill as a legal hunting implement, open carry should be OK as well as CC as long as you have the ccw permit.
WoW! wasn't trying to be a :ahole Or :offtopic Ya left the door open and I chimed in with a Ha Ha. I don't carry when I'm hunting and haven't really had the need to. I do walk crawl over and under the same.I don't want to steal your thread by drawing off line but why do some people carry while hunting? (Not that I have a problem with that)I just have never done it and was wondering why some people choose too!

:saluting
Bossman

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:27 pm

I'll answer you in my opinion. I carry in the woods for the same reason I carry anywhere else. 2 legged vermin
You don't need a CWP to fend you snakes. You can walk around 100% of snakes
You don't need a CWP to shoot a raging wild boar. They will get out of your way
I worry about stumbling upon somebody's meth lab or pot farm. Or some drunk.

Look at the grow field they just busted in Baird unit a few days ago. Or better yet, watch Deliverance.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:35 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:I'll answer you in my opinion. I carry in the woods for the same reason I carry anywhere else. 2 legged vermin
You don't need a CWP to fend you snakes. You can walk around 100% of snakes
You don't need a CWP to shoot a raging wild boar. They will get out of your way
I worry about stumbling upon somebody's meth lab or pot farm. Or some drunk.

Look at the grow field they just busted in Baird unit a few days ago. Or better yet, watch Deliverance.
Ok Never thought of it in that aspect, simply because I don't WMA's that much. Thanks for the insight.
Bossman

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

CWP while hunting

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:45 pm

I mainly carry during archery or when filling feeders. Every other time its general gun so i already have a firearm!

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.

ario
scout

Post by ario » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:44 pm

Always carry....XD 9mm sub. Blackhawk holster.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:40 am

OK I gotta get this outa the way first, before the smart :ahole comments begin. NO I haven't hunted anything but doves for the last few years, and NO probably never the hours that many of you have. Up north I never felt the need for a 2nd gun & never carried one. Further south in N.C. and down here after Carlos had a close encounter with a +/- 6' rattler where I always went to to check my feeder/camera with shorts & sneakers on it changed my thinking/paranoia, and I spent a lot more time looking around my feet than at what was 15-30 yards away. After that I religously started carrying a sidearm with at least 1-2 rounds of snake shot in it. Yes I realize that most likely you will see a snake while you have enough time to go around it, or you will be bitten before you see it. NO I don't have any vendetta against snakes & will leave them alone, unless requested by landowners not to , or they are cottonmouths. Plus other animals like the not so playful otters/nutria/ feral dogs etc. that could chase me up a tree. If I'm carrying an open sighted rifle or shotgun I (likely) would not carry a sidearm, or if I did it might be an ultralight J frame with snake shot in all cylinders. when carrying a scoped rifle, Yes a sidearm, as a scoped rifle could/has be/been dropped into swamp water/ the lens gets dirty/ rained on, or in a thick palmetto thicket where ranges could be less than 15', you can't see your shoes, a handgun might be a better choice than a scoped rifle at those extreme close ranges, IMO. SO THAT'S MY reasons for a 2nd gun. I suppose the 2 legged vermin is a possibility, but I'd probably use the long gun first.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Here's another reason to carry no one mentioned....

The international signal for distress is three of anything. Three whistles, three gun shots, three yells, three signal fires, three horn beeps, etc..
If I am hurt, lost or in distress I want to be able to signal rescue

A buddy got lost in Croom one year (yeah I know, a WMA with square blocks.lol). He missed a deer late afternoon and had no other bullets. He went looking for it and before he knew it it was dark and he didn't know which way was up. By him firing his pistol and us blowing the horn is the only way we got him out. He also had no flashlight. And where he came out vs where he went in wasn't even in the same locale. He was very close to spending the night in there
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Bigbird
scout

Post by Bigbird » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:48 pm

I used to carry a full size Springfield 1911 in a Fobus type holster. I have since switched to a Glock G20 10mm in a Galco Fletch holster. I like the performance and stopping power of the 185gr 10mm over the 45. The G20 is also a lot lighter and more comfortable to carry.
Yesterday is the tomb of time, and tomorrow is the womb of time. Only now is yours.

:pow Remember Jerry Elliott and Billy D Hill - Jan 1968

Return to “GENERAL HUNTING DISCUSSION FORUM”