Finally back on the Gulf Coast

A place to discuss General Hunting Subjects like hunting stories, And General stuff to do with hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

flags
scout

Finally back on the Gulf Coast

Post by flags » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:06 am

I've been away for several years. The Navy decided I needed to be in VA instead of FL so they sent me to the Hampton Roads area. That was the 4th time I got stationed there and I hated it every time. They can't send me there anymore though! I finally retired after 25 years of active duty and left VA exactly 24 hrs after the paperwork was done. I decided it was time to let the younger guys take the reins.

I'm just across the state line in Robertsdale, AL. living in my 5th wheel and have an interview with the FL Dept of Transportation for a position at the truck weigh station on I-10 outside Pensacola next week. I hope the job comes through because the wife and I really enjoyed Pensacola when I was stationed there from 2006-2010. If it does we'll be buying something in the area.

I contacted the guy that owns the land I used to hunt north of Crestview and he said I'm welcome to hunt again. All he asks is a couple bags of corn for the feeders. I'm too late to make a play for the quota hunts so I'll hit the private land this fall.

All in all, it is good to be back!

Flags :cowboy
Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Finally back on the Gulf Coast

Post by treefarmer » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:33 pm

Hey Flags,
Let me say "Welcome back to Florida", even though I wasn't here when you were 1st on FOHAF. Our pastor is a retired Navy pilot out of P.Cola. We call ourselves living in LA (lower Alabama), actually Washington County, 'bout the middle of the Panhandle.
Sounds like you got it going with an invitation that calls for corn to fill a feeder. Even with the price of corn that beats all the mess I've read about folks trying to get to hunt on the WMAs here on the forum.
Treefarmer

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks for your service and welcome back to Florida!!! :salute3d
I like animals, they are tasty!

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:36 am

Bravo Zulu shipmate!

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:32 pm

Welcome home Flags! I was the same way when I was traveling around in the service. I did 23yrs in the USCG and decided enough was enough retired in 2002 and headed home. It's a good feeling to be living on the GOM again! I grew up in the panhandle and was stationed in Mobile for a while at the air station there and would head out to Dauphin Island every now and again to fish and lay in the sun. I'd hunt up in the 3 rivers area off 65. I shot a really nice doe up there one time. There's some good hunting in LA.

Thank you for your service brother. :squid

Return to “GENERAL HUNTING DISCUSSION FORUM”