Smoking your hunting clothes?

A place to discuss General Hunting Subjects like hunting stories, And General stuff to do with hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

ario
scout

Smoking your hunting clothes?

Post by ario » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:53 pm

I do the usual, wash with scent free soap (clothes and myself), store my clothes in scent free bags and spray down with scent free spray. I have just started smoking my hunting clothes before using them. I have no results to report yet, but would like to hear from others as to your opinion on this. Is this an effective method for covering human scent? Will deer run from the smell of smoke?

Gblack15
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Smoking your hunting clothes?

Post by Gblack15 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:32 am

I personally believe and from my experience any unfamiliar smell at all will spook deer. I avoid cover scents and do everything i can to keep my scent down. That combined with playing the wind is your best strategy.
IMHO :proud

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:16 am

Smoke in itself is a natural way to kill bacteria. That practice has been around since the beginning of time. However if there is not a fire for 50 miles, a smoked set of clothes may be an alarm bell ringing
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:28 am

Yeah, I've never "smoked" my clothes but they've gotten plenty smoky around the campfire before a hunt. I usually just wash with the scent free soap both my cloths and my body. I have started putting a pine bow in with them when I store them though. I read that somewhere. Don't know if it's affective but it can't hurt.

Return to “GENERAL HUNTING DISCUSSION FORUM”