Money Tree

A place to discuss General Hunting Subjects like hunting stories, And General stuff to do with hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

ario
scout

Money Tree

Post by ario » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:06 am

Ok, I have this tree that I planted in the front yard landscaping. They call it the money tree (Pachira aquatica) and I planted it about 3 or 4 years ago. It alway produced these pods that have seed/nuts inside. The other day I started thinking of these nuts and did a search on the net. It turns out that these nuts are edible and can be eaton raw, baked or ground and made into a flour. I tried them and they are pretty good. They taste a little like peanuts. So I thought Deer and Hogs got to like these. I have collected about 4lbs. of these and am going to take them to hunting camp next time I am up there. Does anyone have anymore info on this? I can't find info as to weather or not they will grow in North FL.

sam03
Ordeal

Re: Money Tree

Post by sam03 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:54 am

I would think it would grow fine here is a little info i found.
http://mobile.floridata.com/Plants/Bomb ... uatica/806
I like animals, they are tasty!

ario
scout

Post by ario » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:05 am

Thanks sam03, I planted some of these in pots the other day. Boy do they sprout up fast. I have the perfect location to plant some of these. Along a seasonal creek were the soil is always moist.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Bossman » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:08 am

Good info Sam03, My wife says that I have a money tree planted in the back yard because any time that I want something I seem to always come up with the money... (Funny, I don't see it that way). I'd like to find out where I could get some trees to plant and try.

:saluting
Bossman

ario
scout

Post by ario » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:23 am

Bossman, I got mine at Home Depot. They also have them as Bonsai plants.

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:21 am

How long before its started producing? I have been thinking abt planting some chestnuts and other fruit trees but haven't found the time or money. I started dozen cutting from two different figs that grow like crazy and produce tons but only one cutting made it...and its only abt a foot tall so it will have to wait till next spring to be transplanted.
I like animals, they are tasty!

ario
scout

Post by ario » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:37 pm

It started producing on it's 2nd year. This year it really exploded. At fist I thought it was just a shade tree and didn't know anything about it. I kept cutting it to keep it small.

Return to “GENERAL HUNTING DISCUSSION FORUM”