State selling Bull Creek WMA

A place to discuss General Hunting Subjects like hunting stories, And General stuff to do with hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

State selling Bull Creek WMA

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:10 pm

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... wma%202016

SJWM wants to trade a big part of it to private rancher

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: State selling Bull Creek WMA

Post by treefarmer » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:28 pm

Read the posts on Facebook. Sounds like a flim-flam to me. I hunted there when it 1st opened back in the early 70's. It was called Jane Green WMA back then. Hope the campaign to stop this crazy swap can succeed!
Treefarmer

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:29 am

I read some of the back story here. If the State would of used the WMA for what was originally intended, then SWFWMD wouldn't need the land they are asking for now to complete the restoration job. I think the landowner is doing a smart thing, he has them over a barrel and they know it. I am all about property rights and they way this landowner is approaching the deal is the only way to deal with the State of FL. SWFWMD can do the swap, in the interest of hunters, they should also open up some additional land they already control to offset the amount of land they are giving up in the Bullcreek deal.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:54 am

The old Preacher used to say, "It's a mighty thin coin that doesn't have 2 sides!" Private property rights are very important as well the interest of the licensed hunters. Would love to know more about this than what I read on Facebook.
We had property that was condemned by the state when the Green Swamp WMA was put together. We were told in so many words, the state has taken your land and now to decide how much will be paid for it. They offered $125 per acre, we hired a lawyer, the state was responsible for our legal fees, it went to a jury trial. We got $900 per acre, this was back in the early 70's. There is always 2 sides to every issue.
Treefarmer

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:29 pm

Crappy situation.

Return to “GENERAL HUNTING DISCUSSION FORUM”