Trapping yotes need help

A place to discuss General Hunting Subjects like hunting stories, And General stuff to do with hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Glowworm
Tenderfoot

Trapping yotes need help

Post by Glowworm » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:09 pm

All,

I want to start getting into trapping coyotes, and bobcat on our lease to get ready for next season. They are real bad right now and we need to remove them. So, I'm new to the sport, and need info. mainly on leg hold traps, and the like. I am also looking for good equipment for sale or for free to get me going.

thanks
G
New season coming up!

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Trapping yotes need help

Post by treefarmer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:41 pm

This might help you get started:http://myfwc.com/license/wildlife/nuisa ... eel-traps/
I don't think leg hold traps are legal for general trapping in Florida. I know the .243 does a good job on the coyotes since they are not protected. We are seeing a bunch of them on camera this year. I know there is a definite season for bobcats.
Treefarmer

Hogtrapper
scout

Post by Hogtrapper » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:20 am

Glowworm wrote:All,

I want to start getting into trapping coyotes, and bobcat on our lease to get ready for next season. They are real bad right now and we need to remove them. So, I'm new to the sport, and need info. mainly on leg hold traps, and the like. I am also looking for good equipment for sale or for free to get me going.

thanks
G
The rules you read in the printed handbook are general rules for Wildlife Management areas go to the website and read their rules. I've been hunting and trapping Bobcats and coyotes and it's not as easy as it sounds here in Florida. Especially if you watch the TV shows they're all out west that's a like shooting fish in a barrell.The only one who has filmed in Florida is Fred Eichler and I consider him to be an expert above all others regardless of what they claim.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hogtrapper
scout

Post by Hogtrapper » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:29 am

Glowworm wrote:All,

thanks
G
The rules you read in the handbook or general Wildlife Management Area rules. I have called and talked to biologists and they will give you one story as to what's legal and the game warden enforcement officer will give you another. If you're hunting on private land let your conscience be your guide. Predators have a place in nature but they can overtake and destroy areas and move on and do the same to the next area they come to. Trapping is not really easy to learn. I suggest you watch YouTube and they will teach you how to set up for Bobcat and coyote and just about anything else. Learn by doing that's how I've done it so far. I've been successful with coons and possums but they're really easy. I'm successful calling in coyotes but hunting here in Florida is tougher than hunting anywhere else and I have hunted in more than three states. Out west is like shooting fish in a barrel if you ask me you can see for hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of yards. The only one that I've ever seen flim predator hunting shows is Fred Eichler and he was did it one here in Florida. I've killed them in Alabama and I've killed them inIndiana but not here in Florida .I can call them in but I can't get them to show themselves so I took up trapping. I have not give up calling though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:37 am

i think its hard to trap em.. id just shoot em.

Return to “GENERAL HUNTING DISCUSSION FORUM”