Getting out of my rut.

A place to discuss General Hunting Subjects like hunting stories, And General stuff to do with hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Getting out of my rut.

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:21 am

Well as most of you know I moved to about 2 acres a couple years ago. When I lived in Panellus County which is pretty much a city I guess or a concrete jungle i used to drive all the way out to where I live now to hunt. Now I live in that area I have not hunted for about three years. I think mainly when I lost my lease I went into a slump and got depressed.

So I know we had deer on my property and I just let them walk all the time. So last year we bought the 3 acres behind us and now we have 5 acres. We started doing some land management and one of the biggest things that we did was kill all the Cogan grass.

Killing the cogan gradsvreally helped because most deer don’t like it because it’s too sharp and it’s invasive and they can’t eat it and my property was about 80% Cogan grass and oaks.

After that we fenced in the whole 5 acres and I noticed that the deer are more comfortable knowing that it’s fenced in and There are no more trespassers back here. So I seen a lot of different dear I had a couple of spikes for point and eight point couple of forked horns.

I just let them be and I’ve had a ton of their litters happen on my property spotted fawns all the time walking around so I just sit here and look just in my depression and I not really got that spark i used to have to hunt.
And for those of you who know me know that I am hog hunter (no hogs on my prooerty at all) don’t really care for deer unless they have a big rack.

Now I have always had a feeder out here in a trail cam since I’ve lived here so I was able to monitor the deer population. Recently with all the land management I’ve been doing we had a pretty big eight point and a pretty big four-point and I just looked at them on cam and smiled I guess I needed that push.

I would make every excuse why I couldn’t hunt no money no time etc. now mind you this is right in my backyard off my back porch.

So my wife got tired of it and she went out and bought a ladder stand and we put it up this weekend.

I’m gonna let that stand sit for a while we also moved the feeder so hopefully this year will be a better year.

I’m sorry for not being as active as I should be as an admin I just had a lot going on with moving transitioning pretty much secluding myself to have no friends out here.

I mean honestly I’ve been out here for years I don’t have one friend I just don’t talk to anybody stay on my property and leave people alone. Well I noticed I became like that in general with everyone I came across.

With that said hopefully it’ll be a better year in and ill speing. back in action

Today i just sat on the back deck smoking a cigar !! Should be back in the stand this week!!

-cr0ck1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Re: Getting out of my rut.

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:34 am

These...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:19 pm

Carl,
Great looking bucks! I believe those two are refugees from the Panhandle, noticing the date on the picture, about 8 hours after Hurricane Michael started through our place.
Hope you take time and enjoy the stand.
Treefarmer

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:05 pm

Thx.. the most relaxing ive felt in years!

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:40 pm

Hey get at them .
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:49 pm

You have what a lot of us dream of! And it sounds like you live with your best friend! Enjoy everything you have.
If nobody is killing those bucks, then take a doe and let them keep makin babies for years to come!

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:11 pm

Yup cant wait for doe week!

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:47 pm

Yeah sounds like you've got a good thing started and might be able to hang on to it. Good luck with it just keep the feed poured to em so they don't have to go looking.
Bossman

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Tomorrow is the day crock, doe season starts up. I am gonna be out
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:59 am

wait.. DAMN!!!! I thought it was dec.. I got tonight and tomorrow!!!!

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:00 am

moved the feeder. poured out 50lbs of corn on the ground.... NOT ONE DEER!!!! every time I move the feeder... I only moved it like 23 feet around a bend.. dammit

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:38 pm

Went out for doe this am ,and after sun rise 5 showed and was waiting for them to move in to lane then a spike come busting out and chases them all over the place.Then he comes out of the Woods and walks passed my stand at about 10 yds.
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

HCON3
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by HCON3 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:07 am

Just going to the woods is my stress relief. Been to Chass for 9day archery. 3 day black powder and first 9 day gun opener and have only seen 2 spikes, 4 fawns and 50 does. Will try again after Thanksgiving.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:06 pm

all my does re back!!! the next day after doe week!! lol

Return to “GENERAL HUNTING DISCUSSION FORUM”