Hunting with Outfitters and Ranches

A place to discuss General Hunting Subjects like hunting stories, And General stuff to do with hunting.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

trapper dan
VIP MEMBER

Hunting with Outfitters and Ranches

Post by trapper dan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:56 pm

I didn't know how else to title this or the best place to post it but here are some things you will want to know when booking a paid hunt. If you are booking your hunt through a booking agent ask them if they are going to be the one with you when you hunt if they are not you will want to speak with some one that is going to be there. Make a list of things you will want to ask before you call them. You will want to know what is happening at the time you will be there. When are the animals moving? Are you hunting over feeders ? What kind of stands are you hunting out of ? When do you go to the stands ? When do you get picked up from the stands ?Lunch refreshments where you will be staying ? There are no dumb questions except for the ones not asked. Different places will have different criteria for what is concidered a Trophy or a Management hunt find out that criteria before you get there.
With hogs generally a hog with 1.5" of teeth or bigger is going to be a trophy hog but not allways go ahead and ask what they are considering a trophy. Some times an outfitter or ranch will charge different prices for the weight of a hog. The same with deer or exotics There are all kinds of people in the hunting industry some good and some bad so try to keep that in mind. I try to tell every one that hunts or calls for a hunt every thing that I can but I do forget things at times. I want every one to know exactly what is going on that I can control. Hunting with guides or at ranches is not for every one but there are alot of benefits to them. Take for instance the other day we were doing some stalking for a hog I could smell the dang thing but couldnt find him. I didn't know if he had just moved through the area or was still close by. So I just set down for a little while and surveyed the area looking and smelling the air. A few minutes later I saw his ear twitch he was laying there sleeping dang near snoring. He had a big ole hole wollerd out and all that was sticking out was that one ear that I saw twitch. That is the kind of thing that will stick with me and I will be able to use any where I go hunting for hogs. Learning, having fun, getting ready for a trip, spending time with your friends and family there are many benefits to hunting like this. The more time you spend around the animals you hunt the better you will know them. Even if its only watching and listening. There are plenty of debates to be had about this topic and I would not like to do that on this thread. If I can help any one question away and I will do the best I can.

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: Hunting with Outfitters and Ranches

Post by swissk31 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:28 pm

Great run down of info. Ask lots of questions you're the paying customer.
The ear thing got me laughing, my first hog was similar.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:33 pm

witnessed the same thing with a steelhead guide. their eyes are sharper just cuz they spend a lot more time outside than in 4 walls.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

fishindad
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by fishindad » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:32 pm

Thanks for the post and the info! This is good intel.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

trapper dan
VIP MEMBER

Post by trapper dan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:06 am

There is a lot more to be covered. If any of you guys have any questions feel free even if your not hunting with me I can answer general question about how things go but not specifics to each location nor will I slam a different organization. Most of the time they will do that on there own. Just let me know if I can help.

CanadianBlackBears
scout

Post by CanadianBlackBears » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:05 pm

This is great information. Another tip is to ensure you ask your guests what are their likes as we are there to ensure they have a great trip. As outfitters it is our job to ensure our guests have the trip of a lifetime with great video coverage to remind them of what a memorable trip it was.

brywright6296
scout

Post by brywright6296 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:47 pm

I love hunting with guides but you gotta be careful about those hiding trophy fees and stuff that got several ways to get you for extra money.

P'duck
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by P'duck » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:48 am

Ask about penalties also, I hunt with numerous outfitters each year and some will fine you for shooting a deer under 130" or 140" score. Ask if outfitter will be hunting, they know where the best animals are and some put you on game but not the biggest. Ask about cleaning, transportation, if lodging is included what type and ask for pictures (i was told a cabin last september in Minnesota on a bear hunt to be given a tent) outfitter covered the hotel as it was misrepresented), are baits feeders checked to ensure they work? I haunted in Arcadia and out of four sits only one feeder went off and none were being hit as they only set them for the weekend they bring hunters in once a month, ask what other hunting goes on the property as we were told only one weekend a month favor hog hunting and nothing else but quail guide brought his clients in before we left and they hunt all but 3 days a month.

kilboars
scout

Post by kilboars » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:26 am

P'duck wrote:Ask about penalties also, I hunt with numerous outfitters each year and some will fine you for shooting a deer under 130" or 140" score. Ask if outfitter will be hunting, they know where the best animals are and some put you on game but not the biggest. Ask about cleaning, transportation, if lodging is included what type and ask for pictures (i was told a cabin last september in Minnesota on a bear hunt to be given a tent) outfitter covered the hotel as it was misrepresented), are baits feeders checked to ensure they work? I haunted in Arcadia and out of four sits only one feeder went off and none were being hit as they only set them for the weekend they bring hunters in once a month, ask what other hunting goes on the property as we were told only one weekend a month favor hog hunting and nothing else but quail guide brought his clients in before we left and they hunt all but 3 days a month.

I hunted there as well and all though my feeders went off I've been to other places and they did not. Good question to ask "what if" they don't spin corn?
Sucks spending the time and money sitting on a dead feeder.

Thanks Dan. Lots of great info. What's your web site or info?
Kilboars Hunt Club
West Palm Beach, Fla

Return to “GENERAL HUNTING DISCUSSION FORUM”