Ah, what might have been...

Discuss all of your General "Offshore" fishing here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Ah, what might have been...

Post by GoodOyster » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:34 pm

Dad called last night, asked if I wanted to go out 30 miles after some grouper with him and my cousin's husband and son. So I got down to his place at 6am, we got the boat loaded, and headed out. Beautiful morning - Lemon Bay was smooth as glass, just a whisper of a breeze. Had live well full of pinfish, some frozen bait, sandwiches and snacks, drinks. Folks have been catching their limits - 4 grouper each. So we could catch 16 grouper, plus maybe some other fish.

We motored out to the bay from my dad's house, through the No Wake Zone on the south side of the Englewood bridge, and when we got to the main channel, Dad gave the throttle to the twin 250 Yamahas. About half way to getting on plane, the port side motor revs up real high and we lose power. Dad throttled back, we looked at each other and both said, "Spun the prop!".

So we motored back in with one motor, put the boat back on the lift, threw the pinfish back in the pillow trap, put up the fishing gear, hosed down the boat, and Dad started calling around to see if anybody was open that would have a prop.

What are the chances of finding a 14 1/2 x 23 Yamaha counter-rotating prop on the Fourth of July? About the same as having Kate Upton, Jessica Biel and Sofia Vergara all call me in the morning to see if I'm willing to cheat on my wife.

Spent a couple of hours sitting around BSing and swapping fishing stories, then I headed back home about noon. Disappointed that we couldn't go fishing, but it's always good to spend some time with my Dad. So maybe next time we can go out and slay the grouper!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Ah, what might have been...

Post by houseofmicah » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:54 pm

that sucks!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:21 pm

I hope I am not jinxing myself. Haven't had the big boat out since last summer. Been tinkering all day with it and so far everything has gone wayyyy too smoothly. No noticeable issues. I am used to at least a couple things to be fixed before hitting the water.
Heading out tomorrow with the wife and youngin for a day of scalloping
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:50 pm

Good luck! Hope you have clear water and easy pickins!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:26 pm

Ran out for a quick scouting trip this afternoon. Boat ran great. Dove in 4.5, 6', and 2'. Could barely see bottom anywhere. Got a crew coming tomorrow. Gonna b hard to find scallops this season at all

Sent from my DROID RAZR
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Return to “DEEP SEA FISHING FORUM”