Advice needed for a noob here...

Discuss all of your General "Offshore" fishing here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

bodysnatcher
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Advice needed for a noob here...

Post by bodysnatcher » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:11 pm

CWFAsian1129 wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:One word "Skyway"
I was really thinking about that. I remember watching a fishing show where these two guys were catching bunch of groupers and all kinds of species only few hundred yards away from skyway. I guess only near the skyway pier was overfished. Do you know any good spots where I can go try? What do you think I can possibly catch there during this summer heat?

I'm planning to get an affordable fish finder. Any suggestion??

We might go out on this thursday from early morning till about 5pm

And anout the size of fuel tank, I'll double check to make sure if it is 24 gal or not.
Fish the bay side. People on the pier can not fish that side vary well since they closed half the pier. Even with a cheap fishfinder you will be able to find the rock's.
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:17 pm

You can catch grouper and snapper all over Tampa Bay and within 10 miles of shore. No need to go further than that, really.

Manatee County has several artificial reefs within 7 miles. View the PDF at this link:
http://www.mymanatee.org/dms/department ... ochure.pdf

One of the more productive ways to find grouper, snapper, grunts, etc. is to drift over the hard bottom areas 5-10 miles offshore. Best conditions is when there's about a 2-5 knot wind. Get you some markers (large floats with enough line for the depth you're fishing and 1-2 pound weight) and when a couple of you hook up with a fish while drifting, throw out a marker. Drift back over that spot a few times, and if you catch more fish, mark the spot on a GPS.

Learning to anchor properly, allowing for wind and current, is extremely important if you want to be successful catching fish. Once you learn a few spots, you'll find out that being off by 10-20 yards (sometimes less!) can be the difference between catching 2 or three grunts, a cooler full of snapper, or a bunch of lizardfish and blue runners!

If you have little experience boating, contact the local power squadron and take a boating class. Well worth the time and any expense. Cheaper than a funeral!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:53 pm

Thank you very much guys!!

Unfortunately its been raining heavy and bad weathers so we're not planning to get out there anytime soon... :(

But We're go to skyways for sure!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:17 pm

The way these t-storms are popping up anytime and anywhere I would be gunshy about heading out far at all
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Return to “DEEP SEA FISHING FORUM”