St Augustine trip 4-3-11

Discuss all of your General "Offshore" fishing here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Rod Father
scout
Hunt or Fish: Fisher

St Augustine trip 4-3-11

Post by Rod Father » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:59 am

My buddy John just picked up a 24ft. Sea Hunt a couple weeks ago and was wanting to go and try and catch some hoo out by the ledge. Well we didn't get out as early as we wanted but still made it out 60 miles to the ledge around 8:30 AM. We high speed trolled for a couple hours and came accross some hoo tearing through the water feeding on a school of bait fish, we threw everything at them, trolled around, threw, and by with nothing to show, made a big loop to come around again and hooked up with a peanut on a cedar plug way back. Put lures back out and looked back and looked like a Marlin about 100 yards behind the boat, he jumped 4 times and stopped, we think he was feeding on the Dolphin, trolled for another hour with no more knock downs.

We decided to more in to some shollower spots and came accross a real nice looking piece of bottom in 175ft. by now the seas had calmed down which made it easy to get baits down, immediately started pulling up vermillion and porgies as the bite slowed down couple of us started pulling up half of AJ's looks like a shark was getting in on the action, then I hooked into something that almost pulled the rod out of my hands at first I thought it was a big shark but it didn't run like a shark would it just kept trying to jig down on me, I kept thinking anytime now its going to bite threw my leader or a shark is going to bite it in half, well I worked it up and up popped a Warsaw, my first. I've caught many a grouper but this was my first Warsaw.

Well as we all know groupers are closed in the Atlantic so got a couple pics, vented and released, then dropped down again and pulled up a snowy, vented and released, when I got home and looked it up on fwc website and found out I could have kept, man what a stupid mistake. Unless I'm reading this wrong, heres the link: http://myfwc.com/media/628389/2011_jan_sw-chart.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rod Father
scout
Hunt or Fish: Fisher

Re: St Augustine trip 4-3-11

Post by Rod Father » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:55 am

Guess I did the right thing, came accross this.

http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/bulletins/pdf ... ouper2.pdf

bodysnatcher
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by bodysnatcher » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:41 am

I think you did the right thing. It's so hard to keep up with all the changes that the make now.
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

lamehawk
Silver Contributer
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by lamehawk » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:56 am

sweet looks like a good time
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

Return to “DEEP SEA FISHING FORUM”