Happiest day as a boat owner

Discuss all of your General "Offshore" fishing here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Happiest day as a boat owner

Post by DONY1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:29 am

Well, as they say, The happiest 2 days as a boat owner are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. Today is a happy day. I've been talking about selling my Grady White for a couple years and never did anything about it. In the last 4 years I've used it a total of 4 times. I pay about $500 a month to keep it on a rack in the Keys and it just sits there. I took on a lot of water about a year and a 1/2 ago and thought it was going to the bottom 25 miles out only to get rescued with about 10 min. to spare. We got back to shore under my own power. I had the marina clean it and told them to put it on the rack that I didn't want to see it for a while and haven't since other than driving by on the way south every once in a while. A friend of mine has been bugging me for over 2 years to sell him 1/2 ownership and I wasn't interested in a partner in a boat. Been there, done that. I called him a couple days ago about a job we're doing and he mentioned it again. I told him it was gonna be gone soon and he wanted a price. Suffice it to say that we're both happy today and I'm heading down shortly to sign the title and be done with this chapter. :clap

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Re: Happiest day as a boat owner

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:41 am

Way to go, my last boat almost went to the bottom as well while it was tied to the dock no less. Got it floating, back on the trailer and hauled home. Ended up selling it for what I paid for it. That was a happy day. I know the feeling.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

HCON3
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by HCON3 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:46 am

Yea but now you have to go get a small bay boat for trout and reds then it starts all over again. Been there done that started small bay then offshore then big shimper finally offshore commercial grouper boat now have started all over and just have small bay boat (Sundance) that has not touched the water since I got it for mullet fishing 4yrs ago. But it is paid for and sitting in the back yard and not for sale no matter how many people come up to the door asking about it.

DONY1

Post by DONY1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:02 am

I'm good when it comes to the boats. I've got a 21' Release flats boat that's in beautiful shape along with a Gheenoe classic and 2 more 12' dingy's. Just had the Release completely redone with all new pumps, wiring, trim tab actuators, aerators, fuel lines, fuel pumps and god knows what else. It didn't really need it but I don't like having problems so I figured I'd make sure I wouldn't. It's running as good as it ever has. Also completely rebuilt the trailer too. Bunks, winch, lights, dual axles and all new hubs and pushed the boat back on it so it isn't so tongue heavy.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:24 am

DONY1 wrote: Just had the Release completely redone with all new pumps, wiring, trim tab actuators, aerators, fuel lines, fuel pumps and god knows what else. It didn't really need it but I don't like having problems so I figured I'd make sure I wouldn't. It's running as good as it ever has.
If you don't mind me asking, what does an overhaul like this cost $? Mine could probably use it as well.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

DONY1

Post by DONY1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:00 pm

All total I've probably spent about $5000 in the last 8 months or so. Trailer cost about $1700 itself.
Just got back from the Keys and finishing the deal on the Grady. :clap
Got to watch a plane crash land about a 1000 yds off the stretch on the way down too. They landed by Southern Glades WMA and landed as good as you can in a glades marsh. Plane didn't fall apart so everyone should be fine I would think. :rockon

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:45 am

Wow, Doug, you've had a full last couple of days!

What size and how stable is that gheenoe? Would it handle someone my size without being "tippy"?
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:03 pm

Congrats. The best day of the year, is the day you sell a boat! The best boat to have is a friends boat!

DONY1

Post by DONY1 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:05 am

My gheenoe is a classic and is 15'6". Rated to carry a 25 hp. I've got a 20 on it and it moves pretty quick. A gheenoe is stable but takes a little practice to get your sea legs in it. You'd be ok in it Gary. All gheenoe's are tippy but not like a canoe. And it floats in 5" which is great down here for the flats on Biscayne Bay and Flamingo.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:10 pm

I've considered getting a gheenoe if I could find a deal at the same time I have the money. I've just never been out in one and wasn't sure if they were better than a canoe or jon boat.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:11 pm

The one John had held me. You'll be fine Gary. LOL
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

doghunter
Star Scout

Post by doghunter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:05 am

Funny, my brother is selling his offshore boat also. The feds are ruining the offshore bottom fishing industry and it's just not worth it to fish anymore out there. I think I fished a total of twice last year and both times my daughter begged me to carry her and we fished in our ponds.
Team 'Tree Top Assassins'

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:59 pm

I hooked mine up Friday. Drug it out of the shed, gave it a good scrub down, charged the batteries thoroughly, hooked the hose to it, fired it up(cranked on the first touch of the key after not being cranked for 6 months), let it run for 15 minutes, gunned the engine a couple times. Shut her down and backed it back under the shed.

Maybe one day it will get to get in the water
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:31 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:I hooked mine up Friday. Drug it out of the shed, gave it a good scrub down, charged the batteries thoroughly, hooked the hose to it, fired it up(cranked on the first touch of the key after not being cranked for 6 months), let it run for 15 minutes, gunned the engine a couple times. Shut her down and backed it back under the shed.

Maybe one day it will get to get in the water

Same here. I have an inline fuel/water filter that I checked, even with the sta-bill, there some nasty stuff coming out of there. Going to put it in the St Johns this weekend for some wide open running, getting ready for a trip down to Pine Island in early April and do not want any surprises.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by drgn4sr » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:32 pm

After April 30th, if anyone needs help with gas and bait and some fishing experience and would like a partner for a day, email me.

Return to “DEEP SEA FISHING FORUM”