TC Renegade .50

This is a forum where you can discuss all your Black Powder Firearms.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Star Scout

TC Renegade .50

Post by 30.06 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:38 pm

I picked up a very nice TC renegade today from an old friend. The gun is in exquisite shape, and i wishh to use it regularly. Gun made in 81 i believe. Is it safe to shoot pellets in this gun?? and if so, is it safe to put tc shockwave bullets thru it??? or do i have to use powder and round minne or maxi balls with? Any info would be appreciated!! Thanks, Sean
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: TC Renegade .50

Post by swissk31 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:01 pm

The shockwaves with the plastic cup are meant for inlines. You can use powerbelts , but I've tried them and was not impressed. I have better accuracy with both maxi's and patch and ball. Start at a low range of power and work up, the higher loads may throw the bullet around too much.
Here is a snipit from the TC manual on loads.

Renegade & Hawken, 50 caliber
Round ball loads (.490", 175 grains):
50 grains FFg - 1357 FPS - 761 ft.lbs
60 grains FFg - 1434 FPS - 850 ft.lbs
70 grains FFg - 1643 FPS - 1115 ft.lbs
80 grains FFg - 1838 FPS - 1396 ft.lbs
90 grains FFg - 1950 FPS - 1571 ft.lbs
100 grains FFg - 2052 FPS - 1739 ft.lbs
110 grains FFg - 2135 FPS - 1883 ft.lbs

Maxi-Ball loads (370 grains):
80 grains FFg - 1271 FPS - 1328 ft.lbs
90 grains FFg - 1344 FPS - 1484 ft.lbs
100 grains FFg - 1418 FPS - 1652 ft.lbs

davedirt
Ordeal
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by davedirt » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:22 am

I have a wolf ........50cal........I use tripple 7 two pellets and the plastic cup bullets and the accuracy sucks at 100yds. What bullet should I use in this thing to help with these issues?
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:38 am

As far as the renegade goes....I'd start by checking the rate of twist. I'd bet you'd find that a PRB (patched round ball) load will be most accurate. They newer styles saboted bullets weren't as popular back the early 80's so I bet it has a slow twist barrel for round ball accuracy. As for the pellets, it's my understanding that pellets are for true inline ignition and that sidelocks don't work well with them. It's not a safety thing as much as a matter of not working well.

Dave, I don't have any experience with inlines and their accoutrements so I can't help you with any accuracy advice. Sorry.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:28 am

thanks for the info, i got the manual with the gun, and have read it thoroughly. He also gave me an ammo can with a mess of molds for casting balls and maxis, and an old jug of powder. is there anywhere that i can buy maxis or do i have to pour them myself? is the powder going to be good still. i guess i will have to get some more accoutrements so i can measure load and so on. I have a cva wolf that i shoot very well and was looking to simplify by using the same products. davedirt in my cva i shoot 2 50 gr 777, and i started with 295 gr powerbelts. first time i took to the range at 50 yds i had 3 nice groups of 5 bullets. The last time i went to the range this is what i did at 100 yds with a 2.5x scope. pic below. i will be swithching to the tc shockwaves in the cva wolf on the advice of people from the forum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:07 pm

If you are looking a for a great mail order place, this is at the top of my list.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/index.aspx

Great folks to deal with. Very friendly, very fast shipping, and one of the most complete inventories out there.

You can buy just about any type of projectile you want or you can find you some wheel weights and melt them down and put them in your mold.

If the powder is dry, it'll go off. I'm still using cans my dad had back in the 80's.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:07 am

I thought the powder would be fine even though it is 25 yrs old, because i found a powder flask, that was either my great grandfathers (great grampa passed in 1980) or his fathers, and the flask had and still has some old powder in it. old salt peter and charcoal type stuff. after i found it i poured some in my hand put it on the ground put a match to it and poof! up it went. after that my interest was tweaked and i had to get into muzzleloading. good to know and thanks for the help.

Return to “BLACK POWDER HUNTING FORUM”