Scoping my ML

This is a forum where you can discuss all your Black Powder Firearms.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Kortsman
Star Scout

Scoping my ML

Post by Kortsman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:16 pm

I'm looking to get a scope for my ML this year. I've been looking at a few different ones and I am seeing scopes that say between 3 and 4" of eye relief. I'm not sure which one to buy. Not really sure how much eye relief I need. All I know is that I don't want to get "kissed" by the scope when I shoot. Oh and I plan to mount it on a Traditions Pursuit XLT. Can you guys help me out and explain this to me? Thanks...

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Scoping my ML

Post by treefarmer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:25 pm

Kortsman, I've had scoped ML rifles since the early 80's, old side lock traditionals, several Inlines and have always set them up just like a centerfire rifle. I've never had an incident with a ML scope hitting me, did have a 30-06 catch me across the bridge of my nose one time and I'll not let that happen again. Had a deer come from behind and I eased the rifle around and rested it on the back of the home made ladder stand, lined up the crosshairs and pulled the trigger, only holding the Rem 700 with one hand. The recoil set the scope against my nose, it took a minute to figure out which one of us lost the most blood. Had I held it properly it wouldn't have happened. The bottom line is the eye relief that gives you the proper view through the lens of your scope and hold it against your shoulder and you should be good to go. Treefarmer

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:26 am

i have never been hit by the scope on my cva wolf .50. i have an old weaver k3x on it. i get nice 2" groups at the range.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:06 am

Heres mine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:16 am

Scope is too high

Sent from my DROID RAZR
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:19 am

For you.

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:41 pm

They look like see through rings. I'm debating whether to take the sights off and use regular rings or use see through and keep the sights.
What kind of scope is that?

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:45 pm

My muzzleloader has see thru rings under the scope. Image rifle on right

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:51 pm

Those aren't see thru mounts on C's gun. They are just high mounts to compensate for scope clearance of the rear iron sight.
With any rifle, you should be able to shoulder the gun with your eyes closed. Open your eyes and you should be able to see thru the scope perfectly w/o moving your head at all. If you have to move your head up, it is mounted too high. If you have to move your head forward or back, the scope needs to be moved. That's the reason I hate see thru mounts. I just got rid of them on my old 30-06
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Those aren't see thru mounts on C's gun. They are just high mounts to compensate for scope clearance of the rear iron sight.
With any rifle, you should be able to shoulder the gun with your eyes closed. Open your eyes and you should be able to see thru the scope perfectly w/o moving your head at all. If you have to move your head up, it is mounted too high. If you have to move your head forward or back, the scope needs to be moved. That's the reason I hate see thru mounts. I just got rid of them on my old 30-06
I have a friend that has his setup with see through rings. He preaches about being able to use his iron sights anywhere inside 50yds and then his scope for anything further. I shouldered his gun and didn't like moving my head up to look through the scope. He went on and on about the benefits of having both. I told him BS cause most rifles don't come with iron sights anymore.

I get that part. But my original question was whether 3-4 inches of eye relief was ok. I'm assuming yes since it looks like that's about how far the scope is from where your head would be when shouldered.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Scoping my ML

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:26 pm

I got see throughs on my 3030. Wanted the option to use the iron sights.

Sent from cr0ck1's iPhone using Tapatalk.

Gblack15
scout

Post by Gblack15 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:12 pm

I have a CVA as wel and I put a $99.00 Bushnell on it 3 yrs ago. Shot 3 deer and a bunch of pigs. Great out to 150 yds and I haven't had the opportunity to shoot farther yet. No problems

Str8shooter
scout

Post by Str8shooter » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Lower your scope and mount a muzzleloader Nikon with BDC reticle. it is made specifically for smoke sticks. I have one on my shotgun and 30.06 and will son on my CVA.. It'll run you about $250.00. I was one to NEVER skimp on optics. Let us know on what you decide.

Rob
BE WELL OR AS WELL AS YOU CAN BE

CitySlicker
Tenderfoot

Post by CitySlicker » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:49 pm

I kill as many, and possibly more deer the many guys that have high dollar scopes. You can get a scope for under a $100 that will perform just as good in the field as a scope over that price point. All the scopes I have on high power weapons are 3. Best thing would be to find guns set up with both, and take a peek before you purchase. I am sure duck's, or some gun shops near you will have, and let you take a look. It is all about preference. I have several Bushnell scopes that are under a $100, and have worked flawlessly for many years. Can buy 3 of them for the price of a Nikon. Just a thought.

doghunter
Star Scout

Post by doghunter » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Ain't no one going to answer your question huh? Well, eye relief refers to the distance from the scope to your eye when you can see a full view out of it. The further the distance(4") in your case, then you can start seeing a full view through it at 4" from the scope.

I have a nikon omega BDC reticle on my TC omega but have killed a dozen or more with a tasco world class on a wolf ML also. The only limiting factor for the upgrade was shooting distance! I have killed a few in low-light with the tasco. I killed a 7pt last year around 170 yds at the end of a food plot that I wouldn't even have tred with my old wolf though.
Team 'Tree Top Assassins'

Return to “BLACK POWDER HUNTING FORUM”