CVA Wolf Owners

This is a forum where you can discuss all your Black Powder Firearms.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: CVA Wolf Owners

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:55 pm

as long as there not the balistic tip ones they work great.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:00 pm

Not for me they didn't. I lost a hog and two deer out of the same tree on the same weekend. That was a total of 6 animals I had lost with them, plus all my friends were losing animals. After that I took every powerbelt I had in my m/l box and threw them in the woods, I did the same thing with ballistic tip ammo in rifle cartridges
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:42 pm

ballistic tips pass right Thru with out expanding
The hollow points knock deer hogs off there feet seen it multiple times. i killed at least 10 deer and ? hogs with the hollow points. I use my bp for small game on the hogs.

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:29 pm

PATCHED ROUND BALL!!!

Sorry guys I just couldn't stand it any more!! HEHEHEEEE!!!!
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

CVA Wolf Owners

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:57 pm

I'm prob shooting what Allen's using.

Sent From Cr0ck1' IPhone most likely from the woods.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:20 am

Why don't you like powerbelt? I have noticed that the bullet always lodges just under the skin on the opposite side. What bullet will me a pass through?
Bossman

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:38 am

Read my post about 3 posts up. I personally feel they are absolute junk and stand behind my opinion. One thing about me, If I have an opinion about a product it is ALWAYS based on real life experiences with it.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:38 am

blackpowderscout wrote:PATCHED ROUND BALL!!!

Sorry guys I just couldn't stand it any more!! HEHEHEEEE!!!!
I've never hunted with a patched round ball but am thinking it would be cool. When I get my Panther finished I may just go the whole route with the traditional loose powder and balls. Do you pour your own lead or buy the balls pre-made? Just curious. I'm thinking I want to expand my hunting opportunities. Can you list your whole set-up as far as loads, powder types, patches, balls, etc? Maybe in a different post...I don't want to hijack this one. Thanks :>)

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:55 am

I've used that 223gr power belt for the past 5 or 6 years and have had no problems at all. I shot 3 deer with them and none of them went out of my sight before kicking the bucket. Also, last year I shot a big doe up in PA that was at least 180lbs and it dropped her like a rock. She was about 60yds away. BUT - this year I plan on using the Hornady 240gr w/sabot w/2 50gr pyrodex pellets. Nothing against the power belt. I switched mainly because of the price comparison. Yes, I'm cheap.

doghunter
Star Scout

Post by doghunter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:29 am

Iluv2hunt wrote:I wouldn't shoot a powerbelt if they gave me a lifetime supply of them, and a free Kansas hunt
Agreed.

I got a free pack of them with my first inline and the first several bucks I shot with them I never got any blood trail at all. I am talking about 30-40 yards shots in the vitals with slight shoulder in it. Never again would I shoot them and I threw away the rest of the powerbelts!

Hornadys or T/C bullets all the way!
Team 'Tree Top Assassins'

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:57 am

doghunter wrote:
Iluv2hunt wrote:I wouldn't shoot a powerbelt if they gave me a lifetime supply of them, and a free Kansas hunt
Agreed.

I got a free pack of them with my first inline and the first several bucks I shot with them I never got any blood trail at all. I am talking about 30-40 yards shots in the vitals with slight shoulder in it. Never again would I shoot them and I threw away the rest of the powerbelts!

Hornadys or T/C bullets all the way!
Same here!
The straw that broke the camel's back was my third lost animal of the weekend, and 4th of the season. It was a 5 point that I can called in down in a creek bottom. He came crashing into where i was like an elephant. Had his ears pinned back, lip curled and grunting every breath. Had snot and slobber hangin off his face. I stopped him at 20 yards and fired. When the smoke cleared, no deer laying there like I expected. Climbed down, no blood. I knew it was not the gun or me. I found him in January when I was squirrel hunting. I measured it on my GPS and it was over 800 yards from where I shot him. The hog I lost was a 10 yard shot. Never found him till 3 days later I saw buzzards across the next road
I refuse to shoot a bullet that won't exit. No exit/no blood trail. Since I switched to shockwaves I have not had an animal run more than a few feet. Including my registry buck that is looking at me as I type. Even killed 2 hogs in one shot

One thing I can say, after 35 years of hunting I finally have full confidence in all my guns and bullets. From the broadheads I shoot, to the m/l bullets I shoot, shotgun loads and rifle bullets

doghunter
Star Scout

Post by doghunter » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:27 am

I actually found the first of the 2 I shot that season. Luckily the 4pt ran back down my walk-in trail and piled up not 80 yards from my truck. I was propped up and knew I couldn't have missed him and looked close to an hour for blood and made a grid pattern looking around (couldn't tell which way he ran off) and finally left down my trail to the truck and there he laid.

The bullet didn't make it passed his opposite shoulder on a clean vital entry. I should've ditched the bullets then. I think I would've had better penetration with my bow.
Team 'Tree Top Assassins'

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:48 am

i will be using hornadys or tcs from now on. Now that i have a traditional cap lock ml, i have plenty of hornady round balls, and a few tc maxi hunters to shoot. gonna try those in my cva at some point. though i am not sure the twist rate in the wolf will work well with patched round balls.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:17 am

Love my Wolf!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:13 am

Bossman wrote:Why don't you like powerbelt? I have noticed that the bullet always lodges just under the skin on the opposite side. What bullet will me a pass through?

The ballistic tip power belts pass thru without expanding. if you remove the plastic tip AND make it an hollow point it will leave an exit holes the size of golf balls-- well a hole big enough to drop a golf ball in.

Return to “BLACK POWDER HUNTING FORUM”