?? about tc renegade

This is a forum where you can discuss all your Black Powder Firearms.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Star Scout

?? about tc renegade

Post by 30.06 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:04 am

tried to get some time in at the range sunday, but forgot some things. so i load 70 grs pyrodex rs that is old but good and put a tc maxihunter on top of it. put the primer on the nipple, and relax to take my shot, and pop, thats it just the primer goes off, i try again, and same pop main charge did not light. how long is that load safe to shoot in my gun? i got home and stuck a wire down the nipple, should i go back and try again, or do i need to take the nipple out? how long before i should unload that bullet and powder? any help would be great, thanks
Sean
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Re: ?? about tc renegade

Post by blackpowderscout » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:14 am

Assuming the powder is good like you say, it'll be fine for quite a while. While not recommended, some folks do leave charges in between seasons and they go off....

When you cleared the nipple, did it go all the way to the powder? If so it should fire now, no need to remove the nipple. If you still have some sort of blockage in the nipple, obviously you'll have to remove it to clean it out. No biggy.

I know it's harder to find but real blackpowder will give you better ignition.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

blackpowderscout

Post by blackpowderscout » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:18 am

BTW, what rate of twist is the barrel? 1:48 or 1:66?

I've heard mixed results about the renegade and MAXIhunters out of the 1:66...it's just too slow I guess. But the 1:48 ought to be better for it.

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:22 am

As soon as i see some real black powder in one of my local stores i will get some i dont make many purchases online. the whole reason i got interested in black powder guns, is that i found a beautiful old powder flask that was one of my great or great great grandfathers. the flask still has powder in it, as well as a few patches stored in the bottom compartments. back on topic i will double check and see if i get that wire into the powder, i am assuming the powder feels different, if that doesnt work i guess i am off to a store somewhere for a nipple wrench. i believe it is a 1:48. i bought the gun from an old friends father, and he used to pour his own maxis to shoot out of it. i have been shooting prbs at the range, but wanted to see if this would be more accurate at 50 yds.

blackpowderscout

Post by blackpowderscout » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:34 am

If you are ever going through Orlando, Buffalo Bills has blackpowder.

Up in Ocala, Jerry's pawn and gun used to carry it.

Actually, you might not have got all the way to the powder simply because it's offset...sorry, I've been shooting flinters so long I forgot about that..LOL! The blockage might be in the drum. If so, you have to work a little harder I reckon.

NRA Life

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:37 am

lol. ok good deal thanks for the help!!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 am

I can almost guarantee you have a clogged nipple or breech area. You will need to pull the nipple and do one of 2 things or both. First, get a nipple pic/piece of wire. pipe cleaner/qtip and make sure its clean. You should be able to hold it up to the light and see thru it. The nipple should be removed and cleaned, and the breech area it screws into cleaned with Qtips every shooting session. Secondly to get it unloaded you need to do one of two things. Get a bullet puller and pull the bullet out the muzzle. Then you can dump the powder out(you will need to break it up with the ramrod as it will pack down pretty tight). That's the safest way to go about it. Then you can thoroughly clean the gun
Second way, but not as safe. Unscrew the nipple and put a couple grains of powder in the hole, rescrew nipple in and fire it. If you need a nipple wrench or a bullet puller, let me know and I will mail you mine and you can just mail it back when you are done. Let me know
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks Allen i will let you know! sounds like i need to give it a good cleaning.

blackpowderscout

Post by blackpowderscout » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:03 pm

CO2 dischargers work great for blowing out a load safely and cleanly. Its a great little tool to have in the range box.

They are easy to find too.

NRA Life

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Like BPS said, the sidelocks are a weird design. The hammer hits the primer and throws a spark. Problem is the spark has to go around a corner to get to the powder as its off-set. If everything is not clean, then you can see where the problems arise
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:16 pm

Just a little loading tip for the next time. When you put the powder in hold the gun at an angle and bump the gun so the powder will fill the side breach and have powder all the way to the nipple. For the problum at hand a co2 charger is the easiest way.
Bossman

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:36 pm

blackpowderscout wrote:CO2 dischargers work great for blowing out a load safely and cleanly. Its a great little tool to have in the range box. They are easy to find too.
X2 You need to have one in your possibilities bag. The bullet puller jags work but the CO2 dischargers are faster and easier.

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:34 pm

so i think i got this nipple clean, now should i try to unload it in grampas yard or drive 26 miles to the range and back tomorrow hmmmm.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:45 pm

that a P-cap gun not a inline. for my old bp i only use black powder nothing else fires as good. You can get hotter caps. Other wise remove nipple place a little bp in there put nipple back and fire. A little Fresh powder under the nipple usually fires a contaminated load.

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:30 pm

30.06 wrote:so i think i got this nipple clean, now should i try to unload it in grampas yard or drive 26 miles to the range and back tomorrow hmmmm.
grampas yard sounds good to me
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

Return to “BLACK POWDER HUNTING FORUM”