New Stock for My Traditions Panther .50

This is a forum where you can discuss all your Black Powder Firearms.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

9dawgs

New Stock for My Traditions Panther .50

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:35 pm

Last year a friend of mine gave me an old beat up Traditions Panther .50 cal. The black composite stock had a crack and the powder drum had been removed. The barrel itself was in rough shape as well with rust almost everywhere. Well I cleaned out the breach really well and reinstalled the powder drum that looked like it had been removed with vise grips and took it to the range. The gun shot well enough with 100grains of Pyrodex and a PowerBelt. Satisfied with the guns performance I decided to have it cleaned up a bit and make it a nice looker as well as shooter. So last August I ordered a wood stock from Traditions and a new powder drum from Track of the Wolf. I gave it all to my buddy Art and below is what he gave me on Sunday.

I am impressed to say the least. I wish I would have gotten a picture of it before so you could see the comparison. Basically he fitted the stock to the barrel and lock assembly, sanded it down with 600 grit and wiped it down with tung oil. He then installed the new powder drum I bought and re-blued the barrel.

I know it's not as beautiful or traditional as what Black Powder Scout makes but it looks good to me all the same and now has a place of honor over my mantle. It will definitely go out with me next muzzle loader season so I can get some blood on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Re: New Stock for My Traditions Panther .50

Post by blackpowderscout » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:45 pm

Nothing wrong with that! It's always a great day to see an old gun get some new wood.

That's some pretty nice figure in that stock!
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:20 pm

Very nice !
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:10 pm

Hey 9dawgs, you need to give that good lookin' thing a try! You know M/L season is from Feb. 18-24 here in LA. Treefarmer

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:36 pm

treefarmer wrote:Hey 9dawgs, you need to give that good lookin' thing a try! You know M/L season is from Feb. 18-24 here in LA. Treefarmer
Thanks for the comments guys. It looks great to me too. Treefarmer I only wish I could be up there in the woods. Life is really busy down here for now. Maybe one day I'll really retire but since retiring from the service and going into full time ministry I've been very busy...looking at your "corn patch for a food plot" thread always makes me want to really retire and get a place in the country for my own. You know any little churches up that way lookin' for a new pastor???

Return to “BLACK POWDER HUNTING FORUM”