I knew it wouldn't be long....

This is a forum where you can discuss all your Black Powder Firearms.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

I knew it wouldn't be long....

Post by blackpowderscout » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:34 am

http://www.lautenberg.senate.gov/newsro ... ?id=341435&
WASHINGTON, D.C.—In the wake of the deadly bombing attacks in Boston, U.S. Senator Frank R. Lautenberg (D-NJ) today announced that he will reintroduce legislation he has proposed in a prior Congress to require that sales of explosive powder be subject to a background check. He will also file the legislation as an amendment to the gun violence prevention bill currently on the Senate floor.

Current law allows an individual to purchase as much as 50 pounds of explosive “black powder” without a background check, and also permits an individual to purchase unlimited amounts of dangerous “smokeless powder” and “black powder substitute” without a background check. Sen. Lautenberg’s proposal would change that and require a background check for any purchase of these explosive powders. These powders can be used as the explosive material in assembling pipe bombs, used in the Columbine school shooting, and pressure cooker bombs, which may have been used in the recent Boston attack.

“It is outrageous that anyone, even a known terrorist, can walk into a store in America and buy explosives without any questions asked,” said Senator Lautenberg. “If we are serious about public safety, we must put these common-sense safeguards in place. While the police have not revealed what specific explosive materials were used in Boston, what we do know is that explosive powder is too easy to anonymously purchase across the country.”

Lautenberg will introduce the “Explosive Materials Background Check Act,” which will:

· Require a background check to purchase black powder, black powder substitute, smokeless powder, or any other explosive, in any quantity;

· Provide the Attorney General with the authority to stop the sale of explosives when a background check reveals that the applicant is a known or suspected terrorist and the Attorney General reasonably believes that the person may use the explosives in connection with terrorism; and

· Make it illegal to manufacture homemade explosives without a permit.

Lautenberg introduced a similar proposal in 2003 as part of his “Homeland Security Gun Safety Act of 2003.” Current law does not require an individual to produce a permit, identification or undergo a background check when purchasing up to fifty pounds of black powder. To make matters worse, no permit or background check is required for the purchase of any quantity of black powder substitute or smokeless powder. Current explosives laws also do not prevent the manufacture of homemade explosives without a license, unless the manufacturer is “engaged in the business” of making explosives.

In October 2010, Sen. Lautenberg released a report, “Firearms, Explosives and Terrorists – A Looming Threat – A Major U.S. Vulnerability,” examining the dangers posed to the United States by terrorism attacks using explosives. The report points to the Mumbai attacks and attempted bombing in Times Square, as demonstrating the interest and ability of terrorists to launch attacks in the United States using explosives.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Star Scout

Re: I knew it wouldn't be long....

Post by 30.06 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:44 am

the whole problem is nobody uses discretion on whom they are selling this stuff too. if bubba walks in and wants a lb of pyrodex rs, he is probably going to use it for muzzleloading hunting. if ahmed ben muhammad walks in and wants five pounds of pyrodex p, i would have to wonder. common sense isnt so common anymore.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by swissk31 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:26 am

There are so many other ways to blow up stuff, they will just have to switch to a different plan. In fact I don't recall black power being used as the explosive in any recent bombings.
So then what about fireworks, and those powder loads for big nailers. There will always be sources of black power for terrorists, just not for us to load the rifle to go hunting.
They can't even control trailers full of people making meth, but they are going to say you can't make black power for your own use. Once all the power gets bought off the shelves, if there's any even now, I guess some will feel the need to start hording fireworks.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:45 am

for starters smokeless powders, by themselves are not considered explosive, they just burn at a controlled rate and are nowhere near as dangerous as gasoline, certain fertalizers or many other flammable/volatile liquids or chemicals when mixed to create an IED. and "BLACK POWER"is for certain minority groups, "BLACK POWDER" is for mzl's
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:56 pm

30.06 wrote:the whole problem is nobody uses discretion on whom they are selling this stuff too. if bubba walks in and wants a lb of pyrodex rs, he is probably going to use it for muzzleloading hunting. if ahmed ben muhammad walks in and wants five pounds of pyrodex p, i would have to wonder. common sense isnt so common anymore.
Unfortunately the govt sees that as racial profiling. But I am with you though. If you need three loads of phlegm to pronounce a dudes name, I want his shoes and pack checked for bombs :arabia
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Return to “BLACK POWDER HUNTING FORUM”