Looking for a ML

This is a forum where you can discuss all your Black Powder Firearms.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

f4racing
scout

Looking for a ML

Post by f4racing » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:59 pm

I haven't laid hands on a ML in over 2 decades but would like to get back into it. I've never owned one and know VERY little about where the industry is at now days. Can anyone provide some insight? Im also really interested in recommendations for an entry level ML. Ive been doing a little research and reading about TC and CVA, but really don't know where to start. Thoughts? Recommendations?

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Looking for a ML

Post by Bossman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:12 pm

It all depends on what your're wanting to spend... you can get a wally world special around $150 or you can get a good set up for a couple hundred more.

:salute3d
Bossman

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:27 pm

I've had my Traditions Pursuit XLT for a about 6 years now. Accurate reliable and didn't cost an arm & a leg. Check out the Traditions website, they have them on sale right now.

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:23 am

i have a tc renegade caplock, and a cva wolf. i love them both. the cva is easy and fun to shoot, but has to be cleaned between shots shooting 2-50 grain pyrodex pellets with tc sabots. the 209 primers are very reliable and the quick release breech plug has its benefits. the renegade i shoot 80-100 grains of pyrodex rs and either tc maxihunters, or patched round balls. the quality of workmanship on any tc is going to exceed a cva's. but to get going cheap the wolf is hard to beat. i think the tc impact is in the same price range. i got my cva at dicks for 189+tx, and bought my tc from a friend for 125.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

f4racing
scout

Post by f4racing » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:33 am

Yea I have had my eyes on an impact. I've kind of been leaning that way, but again, I really don't know much of anything as it relates to worksmanship, ease of use, accuracy, etc etc etc. Long story short, I want something decent under 400.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:46 am

I agree with Bossman in that it depends on what you want to spend and the type of ML you want. You can spend a bunch on an in-line as well as a traditional flint lock. I have a CVA Buckhorn in-line with a scope, but I also have the CVA Mountain Stalker side-lock and a Traditions Panther side-lock. They are all fun to shoot and I've hunted with all of them but the Panther because I just got that one from a friend. The in-line uses the 209 primers and the side-locks use the #11 caps. You get a different experience shooting the in-line vs the side-lock. They were all under $200 though, plus a box of pellets or a can of powder will last you a long time so they are pretty economical as well.

As for choice of ML makers well I'm partial to the CVA's because that's what I know but I'm sure the others are just as good. If you just want a good starter gun to get used to loading, shooting & cleaning a ML I'd just get a side-lock and have fun with it for a while. Then invest in a good in-line. I know Blackpowderscout won't like that advice but unless you have the skills, money and time to build your own ML you'll have to go with what's available to get into ML shooting. Just my 2 cents. :shifty

Supercracker
scout

Post by Supercracker » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:53 am

9dawgs wrote: unless you have the skills, money and time to build your own ML you'll have to go with what's available to get into ML shooting. Just my 2 cents. :shifty
I agree. Trying to build one wouldn't be the way to go. I bet you could find a good TC caplock set up for under a couple hundred bucks. By going that route you're back into it right away, vs months building a gun.

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by X711 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:30 am

Traditions Buckstalker is great entry level setup.
I have one and love knowing how little it cost and how well it shoots.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:44 am

CVA Wolf at Land o Lakes Wal Mart marked down to $150
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:08 pm

ok i have a traditions
e-bolt
Persuit
cva wolf
and a Hattfield
oh and a traditions buck hunter

My recommendations
break open
stainless would be better over nickle

break open to remove breach plug for easy cleaning.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:47 pm

was just out shooting, shoot over 40 rounds 4 guns. Here's a note was shooting 295 grain hollow points. Was only getting a 6 inch group at 100, switched out and tried some about 350 grain brought the group into a 2 inch pattern at 100. Going back next week end to see at 50.

The meaning is try different projectiles and loads. also a clean barrel verses a dirty barrel

ario
scout

Post by ario » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:34 pm

I also have a Traditions Pursuit XLT and am happy with it. Good value for the $. I did change the scope, did not like the one that came with the gun.

Return to “BLACK POWDER HUNTING FORUM”