Bad day on the range.

This is a forum where you can discuss all your Black Powder Firearms.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Bad day on the range.

Post by born2hunt » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:20 pm

A few months ago I bought a CVA optima (new) but haven't had the time to shoot it until today. Got it ready and settled in on target and snap !!! Nothing. Checked the primer and it was barely marked. Tried a different brand primer , took it apart and checked the pin which looks fine but never got it to fire . Anyone ever have an issue like this. Guess Ill be trying out the CVA customer service.

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Bad day on the range.

Post by X711 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:24 pm

i always check my bp's by just loading up a primer/cap and testing it when they are new.
that is unusual, but very possible.. either machining in the breech is incorrect (primer sitting to far forward) or firing pin isn't stroking far enough.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:28 pm

what type of ignition/ primer are you talking about? a hammer, nipple & percussion cap, or an inline and 209 primer? try diff primers?, maybe they got contaminated or you have a bad striker system.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:37 pm

nachogrande wrote:what type of ignition/ primer are you talking about? a hammer, nipple & percussion cap, or an inline and 209 primer? try diff primers?, maybe they got contaminated or you have a bad striker system.
Inline and 209.
I tried two brands of primers and about 10 of each. Its definitely a striker issue, just dont know if its the pin or the hammer not stroking all the way. While broke open and hammer down I can pull the trigger and push the hammer all the way to the stop which pushes the fireing pin out as far as it can go as is. but that doesn't mean either one is traveling far enough when fired, or snapped in this case.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:14 am

I don't wanna sound like Captain obvious, but if it's a new gun, packing/shipping grease may be the culprit. disassemble as much as possible and submerge all the metal parts in a bucket of real hot soapy water. this should melt any grease. another method is to roll up the stripped parts in an old dark towel and put in on the dashboard of your car parked it direct sun with the windows rolled up. this will heat up and sweat out a lot of grease you may not be able to see. it's a busy time to be sending stuff back to the factory. call them and ask to speak with a TECH, NOT an operator. they may have ideas, or send you a new part. I wouldn't risk returning the whole gun so close to hunting season.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:30 am

i had this problem with my cva wolf once. i had fired the gun, cleaned it, put it up. got ready for my muzzleloading hunt pulled the gun out, went to the woods, loaded up, had a pig in front of me later that day, pull the trigger, snap. got home took the firing pin apart and it was all crudded up with fouling. try to disassemble the firing pin and put it back together then fire a primer out in the yard.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:25 am

See my signature. :)

Good luck!
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:24 pm

I've never had an issue with my CVA Buckhorn but it doesn't have a hammer. I'd agree on the cleaning thing. Could just be some grease in there but it also could be the firing pin screw is backed out some. I'd check everything out really good before shipping it back. Look at your manual and remove the firing pin according to the instructions and reinstall. It just may be something as simple as that. Good luck.

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:58 pm

Well I figured it out and I'm almost embarased. I took it apart once more and re inspected everything. Put a little graphite on the pin and spring and put it back together. When I was putting the barrel back on the reciever I noticed a shinny spot on the bottom of the scope. Turns out I just had the scope set to far forward and the hammer was hittting it when fired :oops . It was clear when cocked and uncocked but when fired it barely hit the bell of the scope keeping it from making a full stroke. I slid the scope 1/2 inch back and it shoots like a champ. Made me feel kind of stupid but atleast I figured it out before all the hassle of shipping it back for nothing. Thanks anyways for letting me pick your brains :toast

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:40 pm

Good deal. Beats sending it back to the factory to have them send it back and say nothings wrong with it!

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:20 pm

That's great. And don't be embarrassed! We've all had those moments.

heritage14
scout

Post by heritage14 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:09 am

9dawgs wrote:That's great. And don't be embarrassed! We've all had those moments.

No kidding! My wallet and phone have a very similar profile. I once spent over 30 minutes looking for my wallet while it was in my pocket.

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:49 pm

No kidding! My wallet and phone have a very similar profile. I once spent over 30 minutes looking for my wallet while it was in my pocket.[/quote]

Heritage did'nt I meet you last year at Baird .

heritage14
scout

Post by heritage14 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:43 am

Probably. My better half and I go on the annual camping trip with the guys/gals from the "other site" that no longer exists.

Return to “BLACK POWDER HUNTING FORUM”