Miserable BP opener

This is a forum where you can discuss all your Black Powder Firearms.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Miserable BP opener

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:47 am

This was probably one of my worst weekends of hunting ever.Not only did the weather suck, feeling like August...the game did not move for me at all. Started off we went up Thursday afternoon. Got there and had to unload and reload the trucks. Went archery Friday morning and my buddy killed a hog. I saw nothing. Came back and cleaned the hog, and ate lunch then went and shot our m/l's. Mine were dead on, buddies gun was all over the place. I think his scope is fried, but he wouldn't admit it.
Came back to house, buddy calls and he is stuck at sand pit. Had to turn around and go pull him out...

Friday afternoon back archery hunting...buddy shoots another hog. I saw nothing. Came in cleaned hog, ate late supper, shower then bed. Up Saturday morning, we ride in together because we are hunting stands fairly close. 7:05...POW....Buddy kills 2 hogs with 1 shot. I said, I aint getting down till 9. Get down, go to camp and clean his 2 hogs. Jump in my truck and I was back in a deep woods stand by 11:30. Sat till 3. Saw nothing. Left there and went to my hot afternoon stand with a perfect wind...saw nothing.

Here's where it went downhill....my bud is an older guy with a lengthy medical history...I wont bore yall with all the details because I hear it every weekend. He sent me some texts that made no sense. One of them was I am dizzy and light headed hogs coming in....

I got down a bit early before dark because I was just frustrated not seeing an animal. Got to the truck an texted/called buddy for over 10 minutes. No answer or return call. I decided to go to camp and if he wasn't there I would unhook my ATV trailer and immediately go back. I pull in and he is there. I pull in and he is at camp with hog #5 on the hitch carrier. I unloaded on him for not texting me telling me he is heading to camp. He then tells me he couldn't text me because he can't see his phone. I then realized he is not right and something is bad wrong. He was slurring his speech and you could tell he was trying to piece together his words (not from drinking either. I know the difference). I hung the hog and cleaned it. He proceeded to stumble all over the camp and puke all over the place.
He has had these same dizzy spells before but not this severe. He always goes to the hospital and they never find anything wrong
Got done and put everything away, went inside and cleaned up. He said he wasn't hunting Sunday. I said good, I'm not cleaning another one for him regardless.

Sunday morning I get up at 5, leave at 5:15. In the stand and saw nothing, as usual. 8:45 I get a garbled text from him. I called him from my treestand and said he needs help. He can't see, can't think straight and can't walk. Said I'm on the way. I got out of stand and ran to my truck, got in the truck and called him back. He was making no sense and said I'm hanging up and calling 911

I called them and told them what was going on and they would easily beat me there. I called my wife to call my aunt/uncle who have a pace 3 doors down to go over there.
I made the 30 minute drive in about 15 minutes to find EMS and my uncle with him in the carport hooked up to monitors. His stats were reading fine but he was really messed up. The EMS guys had me talk with him a minute, then pulled me aside to see if he was acting normal, I said absolutely not.
Apparently he got out of bed between the time I left and before daylight and fell several times throughout the house. He was yelling for me not even realizing i wasn't there. Was very incoherent, disoriented and confused

EMS said vitals are fine, what do I want to do. I said I am in a pickle because we don't live here and I'm not family. I want him at a hospital and I aint taking him and assuming responsibility,

They said understood, no problem and took him to Perry. I called his wife/daughters and briefed them. They got in the car and drove the 4 hours up there. I cleaned up camp then headed to Perry.

They ran a bunch of tests on him CT scan/lab work etc.. and never found anything wrong with him. They have no idea what caused this. This is the third time this has happened to him and all three times he has been hospitalized and they never find the cause. Only thing they say is it could be caused from a clogged artery causing decreased blood supply to his noggin.

They released him late afternoon and told him to follow up with his doctors ASAP. We went back to camp and I packed all his crap up, loaded his truck. His wife took him home and his daughter drove his truck home. got hime last night finally about half time of the football game...

Next weekend I'm going to woods and turning my phone off...........
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Miserable BP opener

Post by treefarmer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:27 am

Sorry to hear about your friend having issues. You did what you had to, for that you don't have to back up! Next time you'll hopefully have a better time.
Treefarmer

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:04 am

Well sounds like you was letting your friend hunt the best places and did all the work for him. Your not in the boat alone there was several people that didn't see much this last weekend. The best time to hunt will be next weekend anyways. If you don't carry anyone hunting nobody will out hunt you. But I understand because I like carrying folks hunting also

Bossman
Bossman

FLQuacker
Second Class Scout

Post by FLQuacker » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:21 am

....and I thought my day started out bad.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:20 pm

I texted his wife, and she has him in the hospital already today. I'll call her tonight and see what's going on..

And here is the worst part of this whole ordeal...
When they were putting him in the ambulance I asked him where his keys were so I could secure his truck. He told me and after they left I went to his truck to get his muzzleloader out and take it inside.
Guess what was not inside his truck???
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:37 pm

Dam that sucks abt your friend and your hunting weekend.
I like animals, they are tasty!

trouttouter
Troop Guide

Post by trouttouter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Sorry to hear you had to go through that ordeal. Sounds like your buddy needs a peripheral diagnostic cath.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:44 am

Sorry to hear but most of your other hunts (successful) still put you way ahead of the norm. with symptoms like that you really had no choice and I'm sure the thought STROKE crossed your mind, it could certainly be many other things. I think it's time for him to hunt closer to the ground from now on, and in general if you believe there is a serious medical condition going on, there likely is. CALL 911 FIRST. I used to get calls at 3am by a hysterical family member saying Mom just fell down the stairs and I think she broke her hip. I'd be thinking, but dare not say, and you decided to call ME instead of 911 because??? I'm sure before long we will see another pic of a hog shot right behind it's left ear.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Return to “BLACK POWDER HUNTING FORUM”