accuracy out of muzzleloader

This is a forum where you can discuss all your Black Powder Firearms.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Stonehenge
Assistant Patrol Leader

accuracy out of muzzleloader

Post by Stonehenge » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:34 am

I have a CVA Omega. I have clean it good every other shot. Shooting Trip 7 pelets, 100 gr. with Hornady XTP 240 Grain bullet. Shooting 5" groups at 100 yds.

What is a realistic group that most are shooting with there muzzleloaders. Is 5" group acceptable, or should I be looking for different ammo/loads?
Do your best and forget the rest.

deutze
Second Class Scout

Re: accuracy out of muzzleloader

Post by deutze » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:05 pm

scope or open sights? I would think you could do better.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:27 pm

M/L's are very bullet sensitive. The Omega is a very accurate gun, but may not like those loads. I have 2 CVA's that will not shoot Barnes bullets, but will tack drive Shockwave's.

Try another bullet first before you do any changes.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

lonehunter

Post by lonehunter » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:58 pm

I can get 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards with open sights and a patched roundball. (benched)
ML's are bullet sensitive and powder sensitive, Pellets are junk, IMHO. Convenient, but junk.
It gives you no way to fine tune your load, Next purchase buy powder, start at 70gr and work your way up 5 gr at a time till you find what your gun likes.
It could be it does not like the Hornady bullet, If memory serves me that is a long full bore bullet with no sabot, correct?
If you could get those to fly I would stick with that, Its bad enough with the lead and copper fouling, plastic fouling can be a bear to get out at times.
You could try the Powerbelts, They have mixed reviews on performance but accuracy seems to be good with my experience and most accounts I have heard about them.
Remember its ALL about bullet placement, A sharp stick will kill if you put it in the right spot.
Also, How old are your pellets? If they have been open for a while you could be getting inconsistency from that, I have had bad experience with 777 that the pacage has been open for extended periods of time.
Flintlock, The only ignition system approved by god!

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:46 pm

lonehunter wrote:..
Also, How old are your pellets? If they have been open for a while you could be getting inconsistency from that, I have had bad experience with 777 that the pacage has been open for extended periods of time.
I've always heard that the pellets degrade, and I've had some 777 pellets for about 4 years that still fire just fine (or they did a few months ago) but may be hurting overall performance. Any suggestions on a safe, fun way to get rid of the pellets other than shooting the up through a m/l? Don't want to just throw them out!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:09 pm

I'm doing better than 5" groups with my flintlock and I'm really not that great of a shot with it. Definitely keep working on your loads.

Lonehunter is absolutely right, these things are prone to being pretty finnicky from one barrel to another in regards to what they like to eat. It's a good excuse to keep hitting the range for some quiet time.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Stonehenge
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Stonehenge » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:40 pm

deutze wrote:scope or open sights? I would think you could do better.

Scoped 3x9x40 Bushnell Banner

Stonehenge
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Stonehenge » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:44 pm

"It could be it does not like the Hornady bullet, If memory serves me that is a long full bore bullet with no sabot, correct?" The XTP that I was shooting has the sabot.

"How old are your pellets? If they have been open for a while you could be getting inconsistency from that, I have had bad experience with 777 that the pacage has been open for extended periods of time." Pellets are new this season.

Thanks for the advice. I have been contemplating swithcing over to powder, just may have too give it a shot...

Stonehenge
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Stonehenge » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:45 pm

Thanks for the advice. Gonna try a couple more bullets. Now is a pretty good time to get a load figured out. D i ck's sporting goods has ammo/ML accessories 25% off.

lonehunter

Post by lonehunter » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:20 pm

GoodOyster wrote:
lonehunter wrote:..
I've always heard that the pellets degrade, and I've had some 777 pellets for about 4 years that still fire just fine (or they did a few months ago) but may be hurting overall performance. Any suggestions on a safe, fun way to get rid of the pellets other than shooting the up through a m/l? Don't want to just throw them out!
Cant say for the pellets, The bad time I had was with powder that was open for appr. a year, I was not getting the groups that I was when it was fresh, after shooting through the crono I found a big inconsistency from shot to shot. I would think pellets would act the same.
Only way I know to dispose of them would be to shoot em, Hell of a lot more fun than any other way.

lonehunter

Post by lonehunter » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:27 pm

Stonehenge wrote:Thanks for the advice. Gonna try a couple more bullets. Now is a pretty good time to get a load figured out. D i ck's sporting goods has ammo/ML accessories 25% off.
If you have been shooting a bullet with a sabot try finding a solvent that is for plastic fouling and scrub the bore with it and a brush, Could be a build up of plastic fouling. That stuff is rough on the rifling and can turn accuracy sour in a heartbeat. Its worth a try!

deutze
Second Class Scout

Post by deutze » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:50 pm

while youre at it check your scopes rings and bases. I had my first and only true scope malfunction issue in 30 years this year and it had me stymied for a while. keep crossing things off the list and eventually you will find the culprit.

Stonehenge
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Stonehenge » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:06 pm

Tried Several Different Bullets And Grains. Never Able To Group Better Than 5Inch Group. Today I Tried Pyrodex Rs Loose Powder And Consistantly Shooting 1 Inch Group At 100. Turns Out Its Not The Bullets But The Propellant. I Was Using 777 Pellets, Glad I Switched To Loose. Just In Time Fot Upper Hills This Weekend!

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:56 pm

Glad you kept with it and figured it out!
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:36 pm

Man I hope you didnt fight with that thing for two years trying to get it right. Some guys get lucky and grab the first load they see and drive tacks with it, and others aint as lucky . I thought I would never get mine right either due to it having an over size bore. All the standard sabbots just fit to loose and shot all over the place. I ended up ordering some Harvester sabbots and pairing them with the Hornady SSTs and it was golden.. There are so many different things and combos you can try, it just comes down to spending the time and money till its right. Im hunting UP Hills this weekend as well, good luck , hope your troubles pay off.

Return to “BLACK POWDER HUNTING FORUM”