Canoe trip with the boy

Discuss all your Freshwater Fishing here. Tell us about that killer bass you caught!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Canoe trip with the boy

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:11 am

So my little skiff is in the shop for some trailer repairs. My son had been asking when we were going to get on the water. On Friday afternoon I said the heck with it, loaded the family up, went to dinner and bought a canoe.

On Saturday afternoon, I took it to one of the many parks on the Hills river. He had a heck of a time helping me carry it to and from the truck, so I will need to build a cart for it. We slid it in and kept the gear simple. A couple zebco's, a coffee can of worms, a few cold drinks, and just some minimal tackle. I was really impressed how well this canoe paddled. It was easy to move, tracked well, had plenty of freeboard, and was very stable. I didn't fish much, just mainly paddled and let him fish. It was incredibly windy so if I stopped paddling we ended up in the cypress knees.
We went and paddled to a little cove I used to take his momma back when we were dating :tung
We got in there and the bass were schooling in the middle. It was also stacked full of big sow gators. I mean big ones. I caught a couple quick on a spinner bait, and the gators were quite interested in the thrashing bass. My son was freaking out, and I wasn't too keen on it either, being armed with a plastic paddle and a 380.
We have had some family health issues that has kept us close to home lately, so it was good to get out for a bit. We had plans to go Sunday but we both had a sunburn for the ages. Lol
Here's a few pics

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Re: Canoe trip with the boy

Post by JBUG308 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:36 am

You can't beat that! Getting exercise too!

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:48 am

yessir Nice day, i fish along some of those spots as well.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:29 am

Good stuff! Keep that young feller on the water and in the woods, you'll never regret doing it.
Treefarmer

HCON3
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by HCON3 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:56 pm

Good times with the young in and a quick way to hit the water. Showed it to my other half and she said just what we need so had to run up to duck's
to get one so now I get to paddle her around. I did get the 10% off for ordering it online for store pick up.

HCON3
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by HCON3 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:03 pm

Good times with the young in and a quick way to hit the water. Showed it to my other half and she said just what we need so had to run up to duck's to get one so now I get to paddle her around. I did get the 10% off for ordering it online for store pick up.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:57 pm

The smile on your boy says it all. I like that drink holder molded into the seat, I could put that thing to work. I always tell myself I need to put drink holders on my boat but never do, without fail, at least a six pack gets lost every trip
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:27 pm

HCON3 wrote:Good times with the young in and a quick way to hit the water. Showed it to my other half and she said just what we need so had to run up to duck's to get one so now I get to paddle her around. I did get the 10% off for ordering it online for store pick up.
Only reason I didn't internet order/store pick up...I read reviews before I bought it and I read quite a few that said a lot of people were finding them damaged from mishandling by store employees. Sure enough, I looked at the only one in the Wesley Chapel store and they had it ratchet strapped so tight to the rack it was warped. I got this one at the Citrus Park store and it was still wrapped in plastic
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:30 pm

Triple Creek Reaper wrote:The smile on your boy says it all. I like that drink holder molded into the seat, I could put that thing to work. I always tell myself I need to put drink holders on my boat but never do, without fail, at least a six pack gets lost every trip
Yeah it's pretty cool. Each seat has little trays and places to put stuff. The center bench has 2 storage compartments plus drink holders. Not your typical seating in an every day canoe. The seats are really comfy and have nice back rests, which is a necessity for me

Pretty funny,...I got the canoe, and got my boat back from the guy who did some repairs..went snook fishing this afternoon and took neither. went wading instead. Go figure!

Return to “BASS FISHING AND ALL FRESHWATER FORUM”