The gift that keeps on giving!

Discuss all your Freshwater Fishing here. Tell us about that killer bass you caught!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

HTTR
scout
Hunt or Fish: Fisher

Post by HTTR » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:40 pm

This pond behind my house continues to surprise me. I know it holds bass up to 23” for a fact and I have seen/ hooked into a few that I have a feeling we’re bigger. Recently I spotted huge schools of panfish, I have seen small schools of baby bluegill in holes in the grass but these were larger and in much deeper water. Still pulling nice fish out of here and I have only seen a few repeat offenders. Everything I throw in this pond has caught me fish, even a sabiki rig!
Image I got my first frog, Spro bronzeeye jr. Image Broke my first frog! Image I was missing every single fish so I trimmed the legs and bent the hooks out a bit. Tried it again, still missing every fish even tried letting them run with it for an absurd amount of time. At this point I’m P.O.ed so I try to bend the hooks a little more and snap. I think the fish were either to small or just not aggressive enough to really be eating the frog.

ImageImageImage Still really nice fish but I’m looking for an upgrade! ImageImageImageImageImage

I’m thinking about buying some used casting combos soon and learning to use them. I’ll be sure to share if I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: The gift that keeps on giving!

Post by treefarmer » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:40 pm

HTTR, my son used to fish with a thing called a "scum frog". It had a soft body with the hooks concealed similar to the lure you are showing, he got the most bites on that thing but had a terrible time sticking a fish. I think he finally gave up on it and went back to plastic worms. Must be the design of the lure as it could be pulled across lily pads and almost any kind of vegetation, producing lots of strikes but very few hooked fish.
What is the top water bait in the 7th picture down? Looks like something my dad used years ago, except for the dressing on the back hook. Seems like it was a Dalton Special, maybe., that's been many years ago when top water plugs always produced! I have one of his old tackle boxes with a bunch of probably antique lures when compared to what folks use today.
Keep fishing, young man!
Treefarmer

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: The gift that keeps on giving!

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:37 pm

Use braid line.. no stretch. Reel the slack before setting on frogs.. hard to learn but worth the time it takes to learn!

HTTR
scout
Hunt or Fish: Fisher

Post by HTTR » Tue May 01, 2018 8:13 pm

That topwater in the 7th pic is a H2O popper from academy sports $1.98 on sale. Could only get this color though. I ended up accidentally pulling the feathers off the back hook when pulling off grass. I will look into those frogs and I will continue to try frogs it produced too many hits not to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “BASS FISHING AND ALL FRESHWATER FORUM”