ticks and chiggers

This is a forum where you can discuss all your Outdoor Wilderness Survival Tips, Stories, and Methods of Survival in the Wilderness.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

kemster99
Eagle Scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

ticks and chiggers

Post by kemster99 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:12 am

this is gonna sound real weird, but the best i have found to keep the ticks and chiggers at bay is actually an old infantry trick, that is to wear pantyhose. will keep them off your legs 100%. can not get through them things. I always wear pants in the woods and long sleeves but if the ticks are real bad .
#### Who's your daddy----Hunt Team####

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: ticks and chiggers

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:27 am

You guys are worrying me lately :big eyes: :big eyes: :big eyes:
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:00 am

sounds like it would work but i still think they will bite through that.

mick
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by mick » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:08 am

I'm good,
I'm in the woods 3 to4 times a week and almost always have to pick ticks off me.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:13 am

chiggers get me good.

kemster99
Eagle Scout

Post by kemster99 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:15 am

it works, a couple of my buddys learned about it in the army. when I was in boot camp they had us buy knee hi stockings to wear until our boots were broke in. NO BLISTERS.
#### Who's your daddy----Hunt Team####

troopDavid
scout

Post by troopDavid » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:51 pm

clear spray paint last about a week no chiggers!!!

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:18 pm

HUMMMMM.......
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:20 pm

Permanone
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:45 pm

I hate those things. Have you guys ever tried this?

I was in the pest control business for several years. There are two chemicals that are quite effective for protection from ticks, chiggers, fleas, and mosquitoes. One is permethrin, the ingredient in Permanone, the other is Fipronil, most comonly found in Frontline for pets. Fipronil can not be purchased OTC, for, rightfully so, it is still a restricted use pesticide. If you know a bug guy real well, ask him for some Termidor. If you are fortunate enough to score some, mix 0.8oz per gallon and spray your clothing. I hang mine up and use my bug sprayer. Once dry, wash it in your favorite no scent soap. It will last for 20-30 washings. Ask me how I know? Neither of these chemicals is harmful to humans under proper useage. No, do not drink it for kicks, but do not worry at all if you get some on your skin.

The easier and more affordable way to go is check out the bug stuff at your local Home Depot. Look for a concentrate that has Permethrin as the active ingredient. Use about a 1oz per gallon mix and spray clothing the same as above. This gives you the active ingredient in Permanone at a substantial savings per application.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Ironcat
Second Class Scout

ticks and chiggers

Post by Ironcat » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:48 pm

Sulfur powder dusted on your hems works good too...

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:05 pm

fishindad wrote:I hate those things. Have you guys ever tried this?

I was in the pest control business for several years. There are two chemicals that are quite effective for protection from ticks, chiggers, fleas, and mosquitoes. One is permethrin, the ingredient in Permanone, the other is Fipronil, most comonly found in Frontline for pets. Fipronil can not be purchased OTC, for, rightfully so, it is still a restricted use pesticide. If you know a bug guy real well, ask him for some Termidor. If you are fortunate enough to score some, mix 0.8oz per gallon and spray your clothing. I hang mine up and use my bug sprayer. Once dry, wash it in your favorite no scent soap. It will last for 20-30 washings. Ask me how I know? Neither of these chemicals is harmful to humans under proper useage. No, do not drink it for kicks, but do not worry at all if you get some on your skin.

The easier and more affordable way to go is check out the bug stuff at your local Home Depot. Look for a concentrate that has Permethrin as the active ingredient. Use about a 1oz per gallon mix and spray clothing the same as above. This gives you the active ingredient in Permanone at a substantial savings per application.
Been in pest control 14 years, and I own my own company. While Fipronil is a great chemical, it is worthless in this application. It is more of an Insect growth regulator (IGR), which disrupts insects life cycle. IE, it does not cause them to die right away.

One is permethrin, the ingredient in Permanone

This is backwards. Permethrin is a chemical, permanone is a product name. Permethrin is a great product, as it is a contact kill insecticide. However, as a professional I have a serious issue with these "Harry homemaker" versions of how to mix these chemicals. A HUGE part of my training is how to read labels and MSDS sheets. If you mix these chemicals wrong, they can and will kill you. Maybe not right away, but extended exposure absolutely will.

I am not endorsing Permanone, but the stuff works. Listen, i am in the woods at least 30 weekends a year. red bugs/ticks are bad usually in non hunting periods(Spring/summer are the worst). A can of permanone is like $6. Even if you have to buy 3 cans a year, it is a lot cheaper and more safe than trying to mix products yourself
I buy and use Permanone myself, and it works. And I have access to ANY chemical on the market

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:06 pm

Ironcat wrote:Sulfur powder dusted on your hems works good too...
Absolutely works 100%. But it has a very strong smell about it

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:23 pm

Great reply! Thats good enough for me!! Awesome info. :toast

Iluv2hunt wrote:
fishindad wrote:I hate those things. Have you guys ever tried this?

Been in pest control 14 years, and I own my own company. While Fipronil is a great chemical, it is worthless in this application. It is more of an Insect growth regulator (IGR), which disrupts insects life cycle. IE, it does not cause them to die right away.

One is permethrin, the ingredient in Permanone

This is backwards. Permethrin is a chemical, permanone is a product name. Permethrin is a great product, as it is a contact kill insecticide. However, as a professional I have a serious issue with these "Harry homemaker" versions of how to mix these chemicals. A HUGE part of my training is how to read labels and MSDS sheets. If you mix these chemicals wrong, they can and will kill you. Maybe not right away, but extended exposure absolutely will.

I am not endorsing Permanone, but the stuff works. Listen, i am in the woods at least 30 weekends a year. red bugs/ticks are bad usually in non hunting periods(Spring/summer are the worst). A can of permanone is like $6. Even if you have to buy 3 cans a year, it is a lot cheaper and more safe than trying to mix products yourself
I buy and use Permanone myself, and it works. And I have access to ANY chemical on the market
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:32 pm

I tell it like it is...............

Return to “WILDERNESS SURVIVAL & BACKPACKING FORUM”