ticks and chiggers

This is a forum where you can discuss all your Outdoor Wilderness Survival Tips, Stories, and Methods of Survival in the Wilderness.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: ticks and chiggers

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:08 am

Bringing this back to the top....was out yesterday and got covered in ticks. Had to pull a few ticks off the wife and kid as well and they barely got out of the truck. Where is the best place to pick up permethrin now. We haven't got 1 stand hung on the new place yet, just now getting out cameras and feeders. I might need a few quarts of the stuff.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:36 am

Go to a feed store and buy the concentrated Permetherin 10%. It's about $10 or so. You can mix it in a spray bottle and it lasts forever. Beats paying close to $10 on an aresol can that will only do 2 sets of clothes. I did this last year and didn't a single problem.

HuntAddict
scout

Post by HuntAddict » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:49 am

Sounds to me like you may have fell for the trick, while in the infantry! HAHA! I was in the military for more than 12 years, so i know the drill.

I use OFF with deet and it seems to work pretty well. Not sure I'll be trading my OFF spray for panty hose.... this sounds like an effort to trick a bunch of Florida Crackers into putting panty hose on before we go into the swamp! HAHA!

Just having fun with you. I'm sure it works.

Just curious, what color panty hose are you wearing right now?

eaj1010
scout

Post by eaj1010 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:24 pm

I helped a buddy move his trailer at his lease this weekend. Same conversation. I swear by permanone. Spray it on your boots, pants, gear or whatever. I believe it helps with both ticks and chiggers.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Triple Creek Reaper wrote:Bringing this back to the top....was out yesterday and got covered in ticks. Had to pull a few ticks off the wife and kid as well and they barely got out of the truck. Where is the best place to pick up permethrin now. We haven't got 1 stand hung on the new place yet, just now getting out cameras and feeders. I might need a few quarts of the stuff.
Tractor supply has it. It's usually in the section where the horse stall supplies are at
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

FLoutdoorsman
scout
Hunt or Fish: Fisher

Post by FLoutdoorsman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:07 pm

Panty hose? I'll pass. If my friends ever found out, I'd never hear the end of it.
May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~ Irish Blessing

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:08 pm

I use this stuff Sawyer Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent on my family's outdoor clothes and it works great.

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Premium-Pe ... B007VCRX2S

I put outdoor clothes in a large plastic bin with lid and spray it as I put it in. Once everything is in the bin I put the lid on it and put it in the garage for few hours until every thing is dry. Once treated, it seems to stand up to couple washings and still is effective.

I have heard that there is permethrin from natural plant and another that's synthetic and the natural ones are safer and more effective.

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:42 pm

kc45 wrote:I use this stuff Sawyer Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent on my family's outdoor clothes and it works great.

I put outdoor clothes in a large plastic bin with lid and spray it as I put it in. Once everything is in the bin I put the lid on it and put it in the garage for few hours until every thing is dry. Once treated, it seems to stand up to couple washings and still is effective.

I have heard that there is permethrin from natural plant and another that's synthetic and the natural ones are safer and more effective.

$42 for a 32oz bottle! :eek

Here's what I bought from Tractor Supply.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/g ... _vc=-10005

I think you mix 1/2 oz to a gallon of water. One bottle will last you a long time...

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:07 pm

12oz in spray bottle is $10 at Walmart.
I use average of 1 bottle every 2 months.
BTW you only treat the outter wear.

Kortsman wrote:
kc45 wrote:I use this stuff Sawyer Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent on my family's outdoor clothes and it works great.

$42 for a 32oz bottle! :eek

Here's what I bought from Tractor Supply.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/g ... _vc=-10005

I think you mix 1/2 oz to a gallon of water. One bottle will last you a long time...

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:20 pm

I buy the same stuff as Kortsman posted. Mix 1oz in a gallon, then pour into a spray bottle. Lasts forever. I use it when I bathe my dogs, and spray my chicken coop as well with it
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:08 pm

Currently in Indiana and the ticks and chiggers are bad. I got bit up by the chiggers a bit. Have not found any on the kids.

HikerJim
scout
Hunt or Fish: Fisher

Post by HikerJim » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:30 pm

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:53 pm

No thanks on the panty hose. All I know, is I put a 21' ladder stand down in a bottom today. A little ridge between 2 cypress ponds. All I can say is them skeeters aint foolin around. They are about as bad as I want to see them

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:I buy the same stuff as Kortsman posted. Mix 1oz in a gallon, then pour into a spray bottle. Lasts forever. I use it when I bathe my dogs, and spray my chicken coop as well with it
I bought some of that last week to try and save some money. I swear by sawyers and once dry I cant smell it but the permethrin 10% stinks real bad. It said it contains petroleum distillates which sawyers dont. That may be the diff in smell. I mixed it and sprayed for fleas which worked good but the front porch stunk for a week. I am hesitant of putting it on my hunting clothes. I've read they make a 36 or 38 percent that stinks less. Any Ideas ?

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:37 pm

I picked up some Permethrin from TS going to try it out. Dam bugs tore me up this weekend.
I like animals, they are tasty!

Return to “WILDERNESS SURVIVAL & BACKPACKING FORUM”