Primitive Camping Trip

This is a forum where you can discuss all your Outdoor Wilderness Survival Tips, Stories, and Methods of Survival in the Wilderness.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

trapper dan
VIP MEMBER

Re: Primitive Camping Trip

Post by trapper dan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:47 am

Well it is primitive in a lot of ways and in some its not. We like to do things like that for one because we enjoy it another is it keeps us in check in case some thing ever happened and we were in a bad situation. We will take things that make us more comfortable as well. We have made vine baskets and shelters out of what could find and used them while we are out there. But those dang tupperware bens are the bomb for keeping stuff in. LOL. I think when it comes to surviving it is about being prepared mostly mentally. I thought my tent was a pretty good idea the canvas just replaced my deer hides I don't have done yet.

Ironcat
Second Class Scout

Primitive Camping Trip

Post by Ironcat » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Don't let them bust your chops! If you enjoy it and it's your version of primitive then go for it.
Half of these guys "camp" with generators and gas grills...

FullPull
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by FullPull » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:01 pm

Looks like y"all had fun to me.
Walk Hard.

trapper dan
VIP MEMBER

Post by trapper dan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:59 am

GoodOyster wrote:Looks like a fun trip! What river did y'all go down? Was the area you camped on public land? Love doing that sort of thing just getting harder and harder to find places that let you get truly wild. Most public lands down here make you use designated camping spots, can't cut any wood, no open fires, etc.
Soverign land and I cut my trees for my tent off of my own property and took it with me. The fire wood we gathered from what was dead on the ground. It is very hard to find property to do that kind of camping on in todays world. Why public land makes you bring your own fire wood instead of gathering it I don't know sounds preety dumb to me. We have parks here that are the same way and it sucks. Do some research and see if you can find some soverign land in your area there is alot of it its just not publisized you have to find it your self.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:46 am

That's because if they say not to bring your own firewood the lazy people will cut down live trees instead of getting their lazy scared butts in the woods looking for firewood.

Bigbird
scout

Post by Bigbird » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:29 pm

Thats pretty cool. I haven't done any of that in years. When I see most people camping its more like living outta the car and not camping. I was always taught that if you can't carry it in you don't need it.
Yesterday is the tomb of time, and tomorrow is the womb of time. Only now is yours.

:pow Remember Jerry Elliott and Billy D Hill - Jan 1968

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:22 pm

Looks like a great time :>) Me and my dad and brother used to do this all the time when I was growing up. We'd head up the river and find a good spot to put the tent up. My dad had an old canvas tent that smelled like mildew and it didn't have a floor either. When we would camp on a sandbar we just slept in the open around the fire. Mostly just fished all night though. Made coffee from river water in the morning...can't do that much anymore with all the crap that people put in their yards being dumped in the rivers...

Return to “WILDERNESS SURVIVAL & BACKPACKING FORUM”