Its getting personal between me & the hog

This is a forum to discuss all your Hog Trapping!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Its getting personal between me & the hog

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue May 12, 2009 7:46 am

It is starting to get personal now :mad: :mad:

So every day I am checking my trap. He is eating the leading corn up to the door and about a foot inside the trap
The trap has a mesh bottom, so I have been putting dirt, leaves, and limbs in the bottom so he cant feel the wire on his feet
Yesterday I cut about 50 small bushy limbs and lined the bottom of the trap even more, then cut a whole bunch of dog fennels and broom sage to make it nice and soft
Well last nite, the SOB ate all the corn around the trap, all the corn on the inside of the trap, except on the trigger :mad:
Worst thing is. the way the limbs are matted down it looks like he took a nap inside the trap

I can just picture this damn boar hog eating this corn, taking a nap on the nice soft bed I made for him, and him saying to me "hey thanks for the food and the bed, but screw you"......

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Tue May 12, 2009 8:36 am

Are you sure it was not cr0ck taking a nap in your trap. :lol:
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Flacracker
scout

Re: Its getting personal between me & the hog

Post by Flacracker » Tue May 12, 2009 8:40 am

Iluv2hunt wrote:It is starting to get personal now :mad: :mad:

So every day I am checking my trap. He is eating the leading corn up to the door and about a foot inside the trap
The trap has a mesh bottom, so I have been putting dirt, leaves, and limbs in the bottom so he cant feel the wire on his feet
Yesterday I cut about 50 small bushy limbs and lined the bottom of the trap even more, then cut a whole bunch of dog fennels and broom sage to make it nice and soft
Well last nite, the SOB ate all the corn around the trap, all the corn on the inside of the trap, except on the trigger :mad:
Worst thing is. the way the limbs are matted down it looks like he took a nap inside the trap

I can just picture this damn boar hog eating this corn, taking a nap on the nice soft bed I made for him, and him saying to me "hey thanks for the food and the bed, but screw you"......
Hey Bud the big boar hogs are a complete pain to try and trap!! If they have ever been caught before then you will have to really outwit him.

If it is at all possible reposition the trap and leave it alone for about a week and in the meanwhile start saving any and all vegetables and fruit scraps you have. After you reposition the trap really cover it up good on all sides and the back with foilage making it look some what like a cave. Take your rotten veggies and fruits and place them in the back of that trap..... do not put any treats or tidbits outside or around the entrance just all concentrated in the back of the trap. This is how we always got our last hogs of the group.

Another thing to consider is making sure that while working around your trap is scent control IE rubber boots and the heavy duty rubber gloves as well. If one thing keeps a hog alive it is the uncanny sense of smell.Good luck with that boar and post pics when you get him.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:50 am

were gonna get him soon.. if its the big one.. he probably cant fit his whole body in the trap.. I cant wait to stick this nice brown one we got in there.. patiently i wait.. lol

mick
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by mick » Tue May 12, 2009 9:22 am

Cracker is right...Keep at it and you will get him :grin:

Flacracker
scout

Post by Flacracker » Tue May 12, 2009 11:12 am

Cr0ck1 wrote:were gonna get him soon.. if its the big one.. he probably cant fit his whole body in the trap.. I cant wait to stick this nice brown one we got in there.. patiently i wait.. lol
Good luck man! i hope you guys get him

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:14 am

i hope the one i want to stick dont get caught in the trap.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed May 13, 2009 3:23 pm

john l
Assistant Scout Master

Post by john l » Wed May 13, 2009 6:15 pm

I feel your pain. The hogs left on the property I hunt are way to smart also. Only a few left and they have all seen their buddy's trapped. They wont step foot in either of my traps now. :evil:

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed May 13, 2009 6:23 pm

Taking wagers. I will have him tonight...

Except it is raining cats n dogs for an hour now. I bet my corn is out of the trap by now

john l
Assistant Scout Master

Post by john l » Wed May 13, 2009 6:27 pm

I worked in the rain today and saw a ton of deer start moving. So the hogs are doing the same i bet. I'll have to take some pics of the trigger mechanism on my trap to show you. It would probably solve your problem if he's entering the trap.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed May 13, 2009 6:33 pm

you explained it to me, but I didn't really understand it. Sounds like it would work though. He is going all the way in the trap. Just not touching the trigger. I need about 5' of 100lb power pro to eliminate the rope. I think that will get him too

mick
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by mick » Wed May 13, 2009 7:26 pm

You'll get him :smile:

john l
Assistant Scout Master

Post by john l » Wed May 13, 2009 7:30 pm

Hell if it had a computer I'd live in there. Looks comfy and lots of good eats. :lol:

lamehawk
Silver Contributer

Post by lamehawk » Wed May 13, 2009 9:35 pm

I learned this from my mentor he had us make a set with a mirror in the rear of it not saying it will work for you but we have had luck doing it for several different spiecies.
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

Return to “HOG TRAPPING FORUM”