Set a trap to catch hogs and no luck

This is a forum to discuss all your Hog Trapping!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

sharrison
scout

Set a trap to catch hogs and no luck

Post by sharrison » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:00 pm

They have been tearing up our hay field so we put a trap out, But not having any luck at all. I put a camera out to see if they are coming to check it out but scared to go in. No pics at all of them even in this area.

When we put the trap out the area had fresh tracks and rooting, But since the trap nothing in that area. I put sour corn in it which normally always brings them to the area.

Will brushing it in help? How long does it normally take for the pigs to trust it?

If it matters what kind of trap it is..
It's 10' or so square 5' high with a drop down gate and a root bar trigger. It's made out of heavy channel iron, And has a rail on the ground so they can't lift it up. But has no floor.

Thanks

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Set a trap to catch hogs and no luck

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:55 pm

If you've put a cam up and not getting any pics, they have moved on (but maybe temporarily). Keep it set. I also use just dry corn instead of soured corn. It works just as well w/o the mess and you attract less coons. If they are around, they will be back. Also put a small amount of corn in front of the door
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

sharrison
scout

Post by sharrison » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:52 pm

I did put some dry corn in it also around the trigger. Also put a small amount at the door and right outside. We have tons of turkeys and even they won't get around it. It's only been up a few days. So hopefully they will show back up around the trap.

I do still see them in another field a few hundred feet away and got them on camera, So they are still here. Just staying out of the hay field. We didn't set this trap in any of the fields the cows are in since we have a bunch of calves that can fit through the gate. Worse case I can shut them out of the one field I have a feeder in the pigs are at every night and set the trap up.

Just wasn't sure if they are trap shy for a few days..This is my first attempt at trapping them.

Thanks for the help..

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:26 am

How about shooting them? I'm sure you could find some help with that here.

Ole one eye Kempster and his $6k AR night time rig from atop a pick up truck used to have a pig shooting gallery somewhere in the deep unknown. Not sure if he still does or if he's all burnt out after killing 300-500 hogs off that property, but he might help you. If not, plenty of guys here who can assist.

renegade
scout

Post by renegade » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:23 am

Give it some time they will be back. Keep lots of corn in the trap and check it from a distance so you don't leave scent around your trap.

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:36 am

Set a feeder over the door where it throws inside and out. I mean hang it if you can.
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

sharrison
scout

Post by sharrison » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:00 pm

M12Gunboy wrote:How about shooting them?
We have shot some of them so far, But haven't even put a dent in them.
renegade wrote:Give it some time they will be back. Keep lots of corn in the trap and check it from a distance so you don't leave scent around your trap.
Yeah that's what i'm hoping. I can see it from the porch with binoculars and try to stay away as much as I can. I also spray down with scent killer when I go to check the camera or add corn. I also stay on my 4 wheeler the whole time so it gets minimal scent.
davedirt wrote:Set a feeder over the door where it throws inside and out. I mean hang it if you can.
I do have a small 5 gallon feeder i'm not using, But no tree branch to hang it from. I could make something to attach to the trap to hang the feeder though..

Thanks alot for the help guys. Hopefully they will come back so we can get them somewhat under control.. If it weren't for the cattle I would have a big all night pig killing party. But too much at risk. We have 35 new calves, Hate for someone to mistake one for a hog... :gangsta

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:18 pm

That very thing happened in GA on one of those night vision hunts. SOme clown was with a guide and he went crazy and cut down on some cattle. Said he didn't know what came over him he just couldn't stop shooting....I don't blame you for not wanting people on your property
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

renegade
scout

Post by renegade » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:57 pm

sharrison wrote:Will brushing it in help?
Sometimes it will help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

renegade
scout

Post by renegade » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:00 pm

sharrison wrote:How long does it normally take for the pigs to trust it?
Sometimes they will never trust it............lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kemster99
Eagle Scout

Post by kemster99 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:06 am

No way to mistake a cow for a pig with the clarity of my Night vision set up. I was taking care of a cattle ranch down in Manatee county. And only killed pigs and coyotes. Couple bobcats also.
#### Who's your daddy----Hunt Team####

kemster99
Eagle Scout

Post by kemster99 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:19 am

when trapping won't get the results you are looking for. Give a call.... Can darn sure put a dent in them. Safely........
#### Who's your daddy----Hunt Team####

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:19 am

Ole AR "Hog Killer" Kempster makes his appearance! Night, day, silenced, prone, mobile... Get'em....

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:09 pm

i figured the hog serial killer retired! Glad to see he is still killing. Whats the total so far this year Kempster?
I like animals, they are tasty!

sharrison
scout

Post by sharrison » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:30 pm

Finally got 4 in the trap last night. A small one you can't really see in the pic is on the other side of the 3 you can see.
4 in trap (Medium).jpg

Return to “HOG TRAPPING FORUM”