Finishing Out Wild Hogs- Muck Problem

This is a forum to discuss all your Hog Trapping!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Papa_J
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Finishing Out Wild Hogs- Muck Problem

Post by Papa_J » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:29 pm

I'm having a serious problem with mud in my hog pen. I recently had to shovel in 2 500# bags of sand, and it seemed to work, but only for a short time. Then, my FIL decided to move the pen 12' forward, and now the hogs are almost belly deep in that sludge after 2 weeks. I'm about at wits end here. I know them critters can't be happy (despite the "happy as a pig in shart" saying). I need to do something to get the mud to dry out, but I don't have any idea what to do.
I've thought about dividing the pen and adding several bags of Portland cement to the sludge and see if it will harden up. I'm not sure how log it will take to dry up, because of the amount of waste in the mud. I'm open to any suggestions.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Finishing Out Wild Hogs- Muck Problem

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:42 pm

I know a friend of mine had a similar problem, and had to divide his pen and rotate the hogs around. Let one side dry out for a while and then swap them back and forth. Or else tell the hogs to quit wallerin around
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

frankwt

Post by frankwt » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:46 pm

You muck out the pen, remove all the mud, then fill it in with sand 2-3000lbs, but you have to remove the mud first. 2 pens like that and rotating them solves your problem...just mixing the sand in the mud will not do it.

Papa_J
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by Papa_J » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:53 pm

Well, I'm gonna solve it once and for all in the morning. 12x12 concrete slab. Put their food, water, and bedding on the slab, and they can do what they want with the rest. Once a week, I'll hose off the slab and and shovel shart, and them critters will be happy for the remaining 2-5 months of their lives. The next batch will be yorkshires and not wild ones. These critters are done eatin us out of house and home. 150# of feed a week times 6 months = very expensive little piggies.

Return to “HOG TRAPPING FORUM”