5 in the trap yesterday

This is a forum to discuss all your Hog Trapping!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

5 in the trap yesterday

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:59 am

Long story short...there is an old trap (built on site) on my lease. Previous member I guess left it there. Its built out of 6 hog panels (fastened together with cable clamps) in a tear drop shape, staked down, and has a plywood drop door and trip rope for a trigger.
Been setting it the last few weekends, but had not caught any as of yet. I take the door out when I am gone home so they can go in and eat the corn.

Well I was up there for a few days this week. I set it Monday, and did not catch any Tue or Wed. Yesterday I needed to come home, so I slept in. I got up packed, cleaned up camp and realized I had left the trap set. So I took a ride out to the property so I could take the door out since I won't be back for a couple weeks..

So I walk up to the trap, and I see the door down. Great. I'm dressed to go home, in tennis shoes. No gun. Ease up closer and I got 5 in there, all about 100# or so each. 4 sows and a pissed off 90# boar. Now what...

Go back to truck, throw my boots on, grab rope, grab pistol, grab knife, grab cell phone so I can get a picture of this... My intentions were to shoot the biggest sow, somehow let the other three out, somehow rope the boar and cut him, and let him go....all by myself.

So I was gone maybe a total of three minutes....Possibly 4. The way they were ramming the trap I figured I'd have one break their neck and be able to save a bullet by the time got back. As i rounded the last corner, I watched the last hog exiting the trap......... :shock:
They found the weakest point on the back of the trap and pushed the panels apart, and all 5 made a grand exit.

Anyway, thats it. I thought it was funny. I am sorta glad it happened, wasn't really in the mood for messin with hogs anyway. I'll be sure to tighten this trap up before I use it again :clap :clap
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

bodysnatcher

Re: 5 in the trap yesterday

Post by bodysnatcher » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:31 pm

Ya like you need any more meat in the freezer. You wife would have a fit. :lol:
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

FISHORDIE
Tenderfoot

Re: 5 in the trap yesterday

Post by FISHORDIE » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:14 am

awesome lil story ,at least your trap there works
(.Y.)

Return to “HOG TRAPPING FORUM”