Pigs got out from the trap...

This is a forum to discuss all your Hog Trapping!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Pigs got out from the trap...

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:09 pm

Guys... Im frustrated... haha...

I set up the trap, baited with loads and loads of corns and also buried some in the ground as well.

I came back 2 days later, all the corns inside of trap were gone and so as some in the ground but no pigs!!!. All was left inside the trap was a giant hole that pig rooted up to eat corns that I buried...

I have a sliding hinged door that you can push from outside but not from inside (Door spring).

The trap is about 5-6yd long and 5yd wide and its hexagon shape. The trap is made out of simple garden poless that you can buy from lowes and covered with galvanized chainlink fence. And I also covered the top with some heavy duty chicken wires so they can't attempt to jump out.

I have a door which is 3ft tall and 3ft wide. They are all welded by 1 inch square tubes and connected with 2 hinges. It opens very smooth and when it shuts, it stays there tight until something else tries to push it from outside.

I will post pictures so you guys can suggest me what I did wrong or point it out what I shouldn't do.

Thank you guys and have a great day

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Pigs got out from the trap...

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:40 pm

Unless they went out the bottom, it sounds like someone else got the hogs out of the trap for you
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:28 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Unless they went out the bottom, it sounds like someone else got the hogs out of the trap for you
I will be so pissed if that really happened..........There was no sign of escaping through bottom so the only way for them is to get out through the door.

Maybe a door was stock on ground? The ground wasn't flat so I had to use my shovel to make it flat a bit.

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:42 pm

If someone is messing with my trap, is there any recommended solution for that?

redneck75
scout

Post by redneck75 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:05 pm

Reset the trap and put a trail camera up where it gets pictures of the door. You'll figure it out soon enough.

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:08 am

redneck75 wrote:Reset the trap and put a trail camera up where it gets pictures of the door. You'll figure it out soon enough.
I rebaited the trap today and see what happens. If samething happens, Im gonna buy a trail cam to find out what's going on.

kemster99
Eagle Scout

Post by kemster99 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:26 am

this might be a silly question, but--- is the chain link stretched tight? how tight can you get it using garden poles?
#### Who's your daddy----Hunt Team####

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:28 am

Please post some pics of the set up. We are all guessing and speculating without seeing
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:10 pm

kemster99 wrote:this might be a silly question, but--- is the chain link stretched tight? how tight can you get it using garden poles?

yes it is stretched really tight... haha... To make sure even more I tied loads and loads of zipties to make tighter. 3 adults can lean against the wall and it won't stretch a bit haha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:25 pm

I think what you may be experiencing is a group effort here. Those pigs are a lot smarter than the average joe may think and I think with that bungee they just might be getting that door back open all by themselves. I'm not a hog trapper, but we raised pigs for years and even the domestic ones did crap that would make sit and scratch my head.

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:16 pm

JBUG308 wrote:I think what you may be experiencing is a group effort here. Those pigs are a lot smarter than the average joe may think and I think with that bungee they just might be getting that door back open all by themselves. I'm not a hog trapper, but we raised pigs for years and even the domestic ones did crap that would make sit and scratch my head.
Well I buried a brick behind the door so it won't open all the way. So if they try to push that door all the way back and try to eat corns, thats not gonna happen. They will either have to go around which will shut the door as soon as they get away from the door or decide not to eat the corns.

If same incident happens again, no corns, no pigs, then I'm going to make a door with a trigger mechanism

lamehawk
Silver Contributer

Post by lamehawk » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:00 pm

pretty slick if it works!!
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

Papa_J
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by Papa_J » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:38 pm

You need to weave a heavy 1/2" cable around all around the bottom of the fence panels, and then add some stakes (wood 1"x2"x24" will work) every 2 feet around the bottom. That will keep them from pushing the bottom of fence up and getting out. Might also want to consider adding a heavy gate spring to the trap door in addition to the bungee cord. Or, if you're not concerned about getting all of them at once, then you could install one of those gate latches that lock on contact like this:
They sell em at Lowes for under $4.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:44 pm

are you kidding me with that baby partition door? get a bug one in there hell tear it down..

But seriously tho. How long were the hogs in the trap? Someone might of let them out because they were in there too long and needed water.. This does happen.. You have to check that trap every day.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:46 pm

you need to put that door so it folds UP to open. Basically flip it to the right then they have to "lift it to get in" and then cannot possibly get out unless one comes in and one comes out at the same time.

Return to “HOG TRAPPING FORUM”