my new processing area

A forum to discuss all your Game Processing and Butcher Block Skills!
From the Skinning Rack to the Dinner Table.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

my new processing area

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:11 pm

wall of fame decided all pictures will get put up. That's a front sketch for what i was going to paint on one rudder but then i got Married. My wife didn't like the other one with T stamp showing-- she said i know who that is. so it was burned.

and right out side a hanging stand

Had to make an area now new floors in the house so no more processing in the kitchen almost done pluming and a partition left to do

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: my new processing area

Post by treefarmer » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:58 am

Had to get up and check the radar to see where the lightnin' was coming from and noticed your post. Looks like you are almost ready to begin the season!
Terrible Ted, What is the the older, green? looking appliance on the left side of the counter? Is it an old grinder and if so, what brand name and where do you get parts for those older machines? Treefarmer

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:38 am

That an 1934 IBM meat grinder

Hobart bought IBMs meat grinder manufacturing in 1935.

As for blades there the same as whats used today. The motor is a Dayton 1/3 hp and there is a gear drive built into the end. I can say this that machine grinds great. I think if i had the motor rewound it would take meat as fast as you could feed it. There not much else you need.

yea i want to get a mixer would like a 25 lb meat mixer.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:51 am

Tight work Ted. I am jealous
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:06 am

Nice setup you got there. I built a skinnin rack just like yours only I made it just a little too short. If I have a deer hanging the nose almost touches the ground. One thing that I did was add a cheap hand crank winch on it. Makes it easy to raise and lower game.
If I had to do it again, I would pour some concrete around the rack so that I'm not standing in mud when rinsing off whatever you skinned.
Looks well thought out!

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 am

That a single and a double pulley. It lifted me easy and i was 260 at the time. That was last mouth I am 245 now. Pushing for 240 by september.
need my 38s to fit easy for season. Man did i get fat over the summer. To many home repairs and upgrades that made the wife cook cookies cakes and mofongo oh that's stuffs so good. She still baking but now there being packaged and shipped to Qatar. To my son in-law while hes stationed there. She made him my favorite thumb print cookies they taste like the best sweet butter biscuit with strawberry jam you ever had.

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:02 pm

Sweet..............
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

my new processing area

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:34 pm

Looks good!

Sent From Cr0ck1's iPhone.

Deadeye
scout

Post by Deadeye » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:57 am

Nice looking area. I have thought of doing something like that but there is no way it work in my garrage.... unless I get rid of the wife's car, three motorcycles, etc, etc.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:35 am

You put cars in a garage?

First thing i told my wife is the drive way is for cars truck and boats the garage is other things. The only time a car is in the garage is when it broken and i am repairing it. With everything in the garage the weight room the cleaning area i only have enough for one car if it needs repair or shelter from a hurricane.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:23 am

Wow, that's awesome. Great work. I didn't realize it was a garage until I saw the door in the background. I'd love to do something like that in my garage but I just have too much junk in it. Seems like everything the kids want to keep but not at their houses ends up in mine... I may have to evict some junk though after seeing this. That's a really sweet set up. Great job.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:36 pm

You should of seen this one before i meet my wife. Were this sit use to be a 1931 ford (project) model A and there was 6 To 8 Small block Chevy's HP motors. from built to blown. My wife liked air boating more than building hot rods or hording high performance Chevy parts. So i started selling all my parts and building a new boat. Still selling stuff today and was riding in the new boat today. Yea this garage was packed

All you need is a little motivation.

Devinv
scout

Post by Devinv » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:28 am

Beats my setup, the kitchen with an angry girlfriend who is yelling that I better clean the sausage making stuff up.. was the best sausage I had ever had though.

I suddenly need to clear the garage out :D

Deadeye
scout

Post by Deadeye » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:30 am

When I was a kid we had a complete kitchen set up in our basement. It was usually cold when deer season came so we would skin the deer and hang them on the support post frames for the deck that was on the back of the house. There was a door right into the basement under that porch. We would go out and cut off a quarter or whatever and bring it into the kitchen and process it. We would all get involved with it. Dad, Mom and I usually did the cutting off the bone. My brother would do the grinding and my sister would help out with stuffing the sausage or where ever she was needed.

We would do several deer a night. Because we had a natural Outdoor Refrigerator the meat was always hung to age for 4-5 days and slightly to frozen for cutting.

We would make Link Sausage, Jerky, Hambuger, Steaks, and Canned meat (my favorite).

It was awesome.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:50 am

Caned meet i have not done. My mother use to do all the canning she make great jam-jelly. A unique flavor is pear and strawberry. You actually get the taste of both at different times strawberry first the pear at the end.

I do want to make some cured venison - corn beef - for hash and i want to make scrapple this year

Here a question when making beef sticks- like slim Jim's - hot sticks what casing do you use. I like them small dia.

Return to “WILD GAME PROCESSING”