Hog liver?

A forum to discuss all your Game Processing and Butcher Block Skills!
From the Skinning Rack to the Dinner Table.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Hog liver?

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:15 am

Anyone ever eat it it? I am not really a liver guy (except for chicken livers). I saved the one out of my hog because it looked really good and had no spots on it at all like hog livers usually do

Not sure really why I saved it. I may use it for catfish bait if nothing else, or a treat for my dogs
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Mr. Lolo
Second Class Scout

Re: Hog liver?

Post by Mr. Lolo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:47 am

Al,
hog livers are freaking good in a stew called "gandinga". We use to eat it all the time when I lived in Puerto Rico. Since I moved to FL, I only eat it occasionally, as my mother-in-law makes some every time I manage to kill one (which is not that often :no ) or when we find hog livers and hearts at the latin stores.

Ingredients

3 lbs. gandinga (The pork’s heart, kidneys, and livers)
4 tsp. salt
2 small bay leaves
3 tbsp. achiote (orange tinted oil)
1/4 tsp. black pepper (in powder)
4 culantro leaves
1/2 cup sofrito
10-12 stems cilantro (with leaves)
1/4 tsp. oregano (in powder)
2 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp. sugar
2 tbsp. Manzanilla olives
3/4 cup tomato sauce
2 tsp. capers (alcaparras)
3 cups boiling water
3 large potatoes

Directions

Rinse the gandinga very well and remove the yucky chunks and the skins. From the kidneys, remove the outside membrane and cut the kidneys lengthwise to remove all the fat and the white veins. Cut them into 1 1/2"-2” pieces.

Place the hearts and livers in one pot with water to cover and boil them for about 3-4 minutes. Do the same with the kidneys. After 3-4 minutes drain them, and repeat procedure, using clean fresh water.

After draining them again, chop all the pieces into 1/2-inch pieces and season them with salt. Set this aside for now.

In a big caldero heat the Achiote, on medium heat. Add all the spices, the crushed garlic, (good for your nails) the chopped cilantro, the chopped capers, the tomato sauce, and the olives
(and some for me). Cook between 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat.

Add about 1/3 cup of boiling water, plus the gandinga and cook for about 5 minutes but stir constantly.

Turn up the heat high and pour in the rest of the boiling water plus the sugar.

When it starts to boil, turn the heat down to medium, and cook for about 40-45 minutes.

Now add the potatoes and cook until the gandinga is tender and the sauce is thickened. This should take about 35 to 45 minutes.

Tips
Serve the gandinga with boiled green bananas and aguacate.

This can be made with beef liver also.
Follow my hunting adventures with Twitter: @lolo_hunter

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:33 am

Yes,they are delicious. Never ate one from a wild hog,but they should be fine. I have a taste for livers,chicken,beef,turkey,deer. Love liverwurst.

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:50 am

I don't eat liver, but are you going to eat that hog heart? I noticed you took a picture of it and it had ice on it. I'm assuming you saved it for more than a picture. Do they taste any different than say chicken hearts?

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:25 am

Hmmm, not a liver fan. I've never eaten hog liver or any other organ meats from a hog. I have however eaten goat kidneys and I don't recommend it. I'd use that liver on a bush hook or traut line and bring home some good fat cats. :>) Now there's a good meal. Actually, you could turn it into several catfish meals as I think an average sized liver would bait a LOT of hooks.

Just my opinion :shifty

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:48 am

My inlaws were farmers in Missouri, mainly beef,hogs,and crops. My FIL lived during the great depression and they ate every part off of an animal,nothing was waisted. We butchered a hog 15 years ago and ate the liver for lunch. My wifes cousin came over for the head,they also made something called blood sausage.

Mr. Lolo
Second Class Scout

Post by Mr. Lolo » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:38 am

Skunk Ape wrote:,they also made something called blood sausage.
Now you are talking, LOL, good stuff also. Just search Google for "Morcilla" to get the right type of blood sausage.
Follow my hunting adventures with Twitter: @lolo_hunter

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:35 pm

need to make scrapple

Its hog liver, hog meat and corn meal some other stuff
cooked ground and made into loafs then you slice it and pan fry crispy

Its great.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:51 pm

My family recipe uses 1/3 pork liver if you have 3 lbs meat 1 is liver makes it way better

Here are some recipes to try -
Old-Fashioned Scrapple
The name of this Pennsylvania Dutch dish comes from the chopped "scraps" of cooked pork that are mixed with ground cornmeal broth and seasonings. The squares of scrapple are fried and traditionally served hot for breakfast or brunch.

1 pound boneless cooked pork loin, chopped
1 cup cornmeal
1 14-1/2 ounce can chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, or as needed

In a large saucepan combine pork, cornmeal, chicken broth, thyme and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer about 2 minutes or until mixture is very thick, stirring constantly. Line an 8x8x2-inch baking pan or a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with waxed paper, letting paper extend 3-4 inches above top of pan. Spoon pork mixture into pan. Cover and chill in the refrigerator 4 hours or overnight. Unmold; cut scrapple into squares. Combine flour and pepper; dust squares with flour mixture. In large skillet brown scrapple on both sides in a small amount of hot oil. Serves 12.

Nutrition Facts
Calories 158 calories, Protein 13 grams, Fat 5 grams, Sodium 180 milligrams, Cholesterol 29 milligrams

Philadelphia Scrapple
2 pounds pork shoulder (or pork butt)
1 whole fresh pork hock
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon sage
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
2 teaspoons black pepper
Cut up pork shoulder (butt) into 2 inch chunks. Place the pork chunks, pork hock, sage and cayenne in a stock pot and cover with water. Simmer for about 2 to 3 hours or until meat falls apart. Drain and reserve stock.

Pull meat from bone and chop all the meat with a knife or food processor, being careful not to grind it too fine. Set aside.

Measure 5 cups of stock and return to pot. Bring it to a simmer; add meat, cornmeal, salt and peppers, and stir constantly until thick and smooth, about 15 to 30 minutes.

Pour mixture into 2 loaf pans and refrigerate until completely chilled. Un-mold scrapple. Slice and fry until golden brown and crisp on both sides. Makes 12 servings.

Nutritional information per serving: 265 calories; 14 g fat; 15 g protein; 18 g carbohydrates; 54 mg cholesterol; 583 mg sodium.

(Recipe courtesy Bette's Oceanview Diner)

Return to “WILD GAME PROCESSING”