cuts of venison

A forum to discuss all your Game Processing and Butcher Block Skills!
From the Skinning Rack to the Dinner Table.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

cuts of venison

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:32 am

well this last doe i made my Fred flinstone steaks with the hams. According to cut charts a tradition cut. A 1 inch cut right thru the whole ham look like an ham steak from the grocery store. I also process the ribs and cut them like beefs short ribs was really easy to cut them with minimum breaking. i used a wood mallet and my butcher knife and they cut easy. It did make processing fast. I usually separate the ham into roast and ether steak them.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: cuts of venison

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:14 am

How did you slice the ham into steaks? I wish I had a band saw to do just that. We used to take whole hams to the butcher and have them sliced.
I am going to be curing some whole bone-in pork hams and then smoking them slowly in my smoker(I got the ham nets on order so I can hang them in the smoker)
I will need to find a way to slice them when I am done
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:55 pm

I use a knife to cut to the bone. I make all the cuts first. Then a dedicated meat saw saw with a long blade. I get the blade number for what works the best. when i get home.

Put a rubber glove over the blade and around the moving arm and tape it in place. Keep meat from getting into all the holes and cracks. A battery saw saw is great when you hunt allover the state. I have sawed hogs right down the middle at the cleaning stations in wmas.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:48 pm

I have a plug in sawz all and I use it. I like to cut the shanks and hocks off of hams and shoulders so they have a clean cut and fit in stuff better.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Return to “WILD GAME PROCESSING”