Meat chickens

A forum to discuss all your Game Processing and Butcher Block Skills!
From the Skinning Rack to the Dinner Table.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Meat chickens

Post by Bossman » Wed May 29, 2013 4:31 pm

[quote="sam03"]Have u thought abt using a fodder system? I'm going to try it out with my chickens.

Now that is an idea!
Bossman

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:59 pm

Hey Alan, I know your meat chickens are in the freezer but do you still have the layers? If so do you sell fresh eggs?

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:31 pm

Yeah Jim I do, when I have enough. Sometimes I have people calling me wanting them and my girls can't keep up with production. Then like yesterday, I threw out like 5 dozen. They haven't layed well this week with this storm, but should be back in business by the weekend. If you want I will save you some. I usually sell them by the 18 count, because I have a source for 18 egg cartons. We usually go to your neck of the woods on the weekends to go swimming at the inlaws
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:41 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Yeah Jim I do, when I have enough. Sometimes I have people calling me wanting them and my girls can't keep up with production. Then like yesterday, I threw out like 5 dozen. They haven't layed well this week with this storm, but should be back in business by the weekend. If you want I will save you some. I usually sell them by the 18 count, because I have a source for 18 egg cartons. We usually go to your neck of the woods on the weekends to go swimming at the inlaws
Awesome! I'll take some when they're available. Just let me know. I'll PM you my cell number.

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:12 pm

Hows the turkeys coming along? Still working on finding time to build a large chicken run for fryers but my layers are going strong.
I like animals, they are tasty!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:23 pm

I never got any. Too many projects. I am going to re-do my whole coop system this winter so I can have layers, meat birds and turkeys
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:12 pm

Man... Every time I see this thread the wheels start turning in my head. Thinking about rabbits too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:32 pm

I cooked a bag of leg Q and a pack of breast last night. Just finished eating leftovers. Man they are good. No comparison between store bought and home growed

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:13 pm

Where do you buy feed ? I used to raise meat chickens 100 at a time. I would eat some and sell the rest. I bought feed at a mill in Zepherhills (600 pounds at a time) but when this ethanol crap came about feed got so high I couldnt keep doing it. I made decent money on the ones I sold so it paid for the rest. You would not believe what some will pay for heavy meat chickens. Haven't checked bulk feed prices lately to see if its leveled off.

Return to “WILD GAME PROCESSING”