Meat chickens

A forum to discuss all your Game Processing and Butcher Block Skills!
From the Skinning Rack to the Dinner Table.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Meat chickens

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:41 pm

Starting out with 15 of them for my maiden voyage to see how it goes. I will try to keep good notes on this project to see how this breaks down monetarily

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Kortsman
Star Scout

Re: Meat chickens

Post by Kortsman » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:16 pm

I remember as a kid my grandparents had chickens in their back yard in Puerto Rico. My grandmother would show me the one she wanted and told me to go catch it. Those things were hard to catch as a kid. A few hours later we would be eating some of the best tasting chicken you've ever sunk your teeth into!

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:02 pm

I got us our first egg layers hopefully a few weeks back. I picked up 3 barred rocks and 3 Buff Orp's. They have been doing great and I am truly amazed at how cool these little buggers are.

I had to work all week in North Cubaiti aka Miami and 1 of the Orps got out disappeared but the rest are doing great. My oldest boy was as distraught as I've ever seen him. It was his favorite and it was the friendliest of the bunch. It would come running to us and let us grab it to hold it. I bet he did the same thing to the cat....LOL!!!

I'll be watching your little flocks progress with interest!
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:22 pm

Intetesting. I have thrown this idea around a few times. Keep us posted!
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:23 pm

I love my chickens 4-6 eggs a day and while at work I miss the evening time with my kids and wife watching them when we let them out
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:04 pm

I have 9 egg layers. They are my pets. I told my wife n son to not handle these as I don't want them to show any attachment to them whatsoever. This should be a good educational tool for my son also. I am also going to be feeding them strictly fermented feed. Supposedly they will eat less, and the fermented feed is much better for them. Already got a batch started
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:08 am

How do you think your boywill deal with the head chopping party? Worst thing about them birds is how much crap gets stuck to their feet. They are the best eating birds in the world by far,we had a very hard time going back to store bought when ours were all gone.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:18 am

Well he shot 2 turkeys and has been with me when I killed hogs so he will probably take it like a man and ask when chicken dinner is ready

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:41 am

He'll probaby get a kick out of the show they put on after the deed is done. They do run around like a chicken with its head cut off. Where did you get them from?

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:45 am

I am going to use a killing cone. Look them up, it eliminates that runnin and floppin. I got them from TSC in new Port richey. I was going to order them online , but McMurray hatchery does not have them in stock yet till later in the summer

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:55 am

I still haven't decided if I want to mess with them again,lot of work. Then again,I keep thinking how good they were. You know where I can get some natural casings anywhere? I wanting to make some sausage.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:12 am

I order the casings online. Either from sausagemaker.com or LEM. Whoever has them cheaper. They will come vac sealed and packed in salt. You just need to rehydrate them

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:32 am

i have an old book published in 1879 called Housekeeping In Old Virginia. it is a collection of recipes and life fromm the people of that time, and it describes killing of a bird at that time in great detail. " The best way to kill a fowl is to tie it by its legs, hang it up, and then cut off its neck. In this way, it dies more quickly, suffers less, and bleeds more freely." it goes on to describe the removal of the crop, and cleaning the bird...and emphasis on not breaking the gall. i thought it was interesting look into the past.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Meat chickens

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:03 am

Kortsman wrote:I remember as a kid my grandparents had chickens in their back yard in Puerto Rico. My grandmother would show me the one she wanted and told me to go catch it. Those things were hard to catch as a kid. A few hours later we would be eating some of the best tasting chicken you've ever sunk your teeth into!

My mom told me When i was in P.R. Bout the time i was 3 i got nosey and peeked out the window at the top of the stairs, saw a huge rooster, it " cuk a doodle dooed" and i got so scared i fell down the stairs. Lol

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by drgn4sr » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:23 am

I had my first Indian head dress made by my Dad from our family dinner fare. About 4 years old and it didn't bother me.

Return to “WILD GAME PROCESSING”