Making Sausage

A forum to discuss all your Game Processing and Butcher Block Skills!
From the Skinning Rack to the Dinner Table.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

davedirt
Ordeal
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Making Sausage

Post by davedirt » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:53 pm

I made 5lbs of breakfast sausage and 5lbs of hot Italian and 12lbs of boudin last night. still have 40lbs of deer to grind.

:chain
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Making Sausage

Post by treefarmer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:14 pm

Davedirt,
Unless they are old family secret recipes, tell us about your sausages. I haven't made any since early in March and still have quite a bit in the freezer to process. Picture are still worth a thousand words.
Treefarmer

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:58 am

I'm with the pictures lets see how it looks. I might be totally lost but what is boudin?
Bossman

Ironcat
Second Class Scout

Making Sausage

Post by Ironcat » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:36 am

Boudin is just a name for some types of sausage.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:44 am

Boundin is a Cajun sausage with pork, chicken livers, rice, veggies and spices stuffed in a casing
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:29 pm

Boudin (pronounced boo-dan with a funny Cajun accent!) is the sausage usually found in gumbo and jambalaya.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:39 pm

Well I did not take pictures. A friend called me and siad he had a hog from a Texas hunt that he didnot have room for so I took it and ground the whole thing. I used the LEM seasonings for the breakfast and hot italian. Now the boudin I just used a recipe off iternet, did not use liver because I am not a fan of it. But tried a subsitute for it and the only other thing that kind of reminds me of liver is smoked oysters, I like smoked oysters and that is what I used instead of liver...........I think it came out pretty good with flavor. It will take a few tries to perfect this one.
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS

ROLL TIDE

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:01 pm

I will admit, my first attempt at Boudin was a failure. I cooked everything too long, so when I ran it thru the grinder the consistency was too mushy. On top of that, I don't have a sausage stuffer. So I ground everything, mixed the rice in, then tried to run it back thru the grinder w/o the blades , only using the stuffer attachment. Way too mushy but the flavor was spot on. I am gonna try it again on a smaller scale and get it right
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:37 pm

I did buy a stuffer and scale...........this a must to get the portions rite for the ratios. I froze the links before I vacume packed. A friend has that huge grinder by LEM and that thing ground that whole pig in less than 10 minutes, you could not feed it fast enough and only had to use the plunger twice because the chunks were almost frozen.......that thing is bad a$$. 500.00 bucks and well worth it if you do a lot of gringing
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS

ROLL TIDE

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:53 pm

Nice, do you refreeze your sausage after you make it? I was always concerned it would spoil. Always told not to refreeze meat so I try to make all my sausage when I get back from hunting before I freeze the meat. I just process it all within a day of returning. It's all on ice so it stays fresh. Never thought about freezing and then making the sausage later. Just wondering what everyone else does. It would be great to take a rest before processing my venison.

Ironcat
Second Class Scout

Making Sausage

Post by Ironcat » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:30 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Boundin is a Cajun sausage with pork, chicken livers, rice, veggies and spices stuffed in a casing
Nope, it's French...
Or Austrian...
Or German...
Or Belgian...
Cajuns are probably the NEWEST boudin makers on the planet, but the most well known (and vocal about "their" invention) here in the US.

Some French types of boudin are actually defined by law to say no fillers, no chicken, etc...
In short, it is just a name for any of a dozen different types of sausages served around the planet.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:38 pm

Well excuse me

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:28 pm

Hey 9dawgs,
We always freeze our venison that we are going to make into sausage. All the trimings, the neck, shanks, rib meat(trimmed of fat), the shoulders and anything else is placed in 2 gallon freezer bags, weighed and labled. Then you dig out what you need, match it with 40% pork and go to work. Meat that has been in the freezer too long can usually be salvaged by combining it with a fresher date and the seasoning does the rest! Got that advice from several old timers that had been making sausage for years. By freezing the meat, we are able to accumulate enough to make firing up the smokehouse worthwhile.
Treefarmer

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Well just heat up a couple links in the oven and I am rite proud, it is pretty dam close to the real deal. I will let you in on a secret. I used the water from pork and smoked oyster in lieu of liver and 2 packets of dirty rice seasoning for the rice. I let it stand over night to marry and stuffed the next evening.....I hope this helps Allen.
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS

ROLL TIDE

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 pm

10-4 buddy. I can't eat oysters (highly allergic) but I got some ideas for the next batch. Just looked at my freezers and they are in a sad state of affair. We have gone thru about 6+ of the 8 hogs I shot this year

To answer the previous question..I do the same and freeze meat for grinding. All the neck meat, trimmings, rib and flank meat I dice it up and freeze it in bags and label it grinding meat. Then I take it out later on and either make sausage, burger, etc as needed

Return to “WILD GAME PROCESSING”