Rank ribs

A forum to discuss all your Game Processing and Butcher Block Skills!
From the Skinning Rack to the Dinner Table.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Kortsman
Star Scout

Rank ribs

Post by Kortsman » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:36 pm

After letting the hog I shot sit on ice for a week, I took out the ribs and was ready to start rubbing them down for the smoker. I trimmed the blood shot area and kept smelling the smell of :crap:. I trimmed the fat and kept smelling and it all smelled like straight up :crap:.
I had to throw away both racks. The rest of the meat was smell free and I cooked up some backstrap instead.

What would cause this? I made sure not to cut the guts open when cleaning and I rinsed the meat and packed on ice immediately. I was looking forward to smoking those ribs cause that hog had a nice layer of fat on them. What a waste!

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: Rank ribs

Post by swissk31 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:05 pm

Not sure, I always try to cut away all blooded area before soaking, Bruised areas I didn't find have spread during soaking, so I had to discard more. I drain the cooler everyday of blooded water and top off the ice. Never gone a full week and It's never smelled like that.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:40 am

Never put blood shot meat in the cooler. And neck shoot them things.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:43 am

not sure many thing maybe.

When i do them i quarter cut out the bludgent areas I also make sure they soak it ice water some time and add salt.

Now you should drain the water and refresh it daily. Also make sure it iced heavy over the meat - under is no good.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Rank ribs

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:47 pm

I clean ALL BLOOD off and take all silverskin off then wash down again, then to the cooler.

Return to “WILD GAME PROCESSING”