Dry aged beef

A forum to discuss all your Game Processing and Butcher Block Skills!
From the Skinning Rack to the Dinner Table.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Dry aged beef

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:18 am

Been a while since I have done this. This is pretty easy to do. You just have to be careful, because there is a fine line between dry aged and rotten.

Cacciatore bros. in Tampa had a 1 day sale. New York strip whole loins for like $3.49/lb. They will cut it free, but I said leave it whole

Just a quick rinse and in the fridge, wrapped in a bath towel

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

heritage14
scout

Re: Dry aged beef

Post by heritage14 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:35 pm

I have wanted to try this for quite some time, but my better half is reluctant. How long does the process take from start to finish?

Ironcat
Second Class Scout

Post by Ironcat » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:45 pm

I've aged beef in the fridge before.
I just put it on a wire rack over a cookie sheet and leave it on the bottom shelf.
You'll see it darken and harden as water leaves and flavor builds.
I've only gone a week but I imagine you could do 2 safely?

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:56 pm

Most high end steak houses that serve dry aged beef usually dry them 3 weeks minimum.

This loin is kinda thin, so I will let it go 21 days, then will trim, cut into steaks and freeze in vacuum seal bags
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Looks interesting. Can't wait to see the finished product.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:59 pm

I believe the humidity is the biggest factor then temperature. I remember my Grandfather would order specific cuts from the butcher to be aged for a certain time. 3 weeks sounds about right but ask a steakhouse like Berns how long it can be done. I doubt they will give out their ageing secret, but maybe a ballpark figure. there's probly a video on u-tube about it like everything else.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:39 pm

Iluv2hunt,
My Father-in-law gave up being a full time cowboy in 1945 :cowboy . His 1st child, my sweet wife, was born that year and he has been in the meat business ever since. (He celebrated his 90th birthday in Aug.) I worked for him full time in the late 60's for a little while. He had a custom kill/retail store operation and several customers were into aged beef in a big way. They would raise steers and he would process them with the special ageing instructions. Some of these large sides of beef would be hung on the rail for up to 30 days. What normally appeared as red or dark red with white fat covering was turned into a moldy, green and black looking mess. When the time came the sides were broken down as a normal beef and the mold was simply trimmed off the exterior that had been hanging in the cooler at 34-37 degrees. Cutting and wrapping then proceeded as normal. Once in a while a small sliver was tested in the ever present electric skillet. Nothing can compare to properly aged beef, except maybe an aged venison backstrap! Makes my mouth water just to see that New York strip and think how good it will be! Hope it turn out good for you :bbq .
Treefarmer

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:25 am

your making me hungry.

yea i aged some meat.

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by drgn4sr » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:49 pm

tried aged beef from whole foods one time. it was the best most tender porterhouse steak I ever had. BUT, on sale at $24.99 per lb., it was a 1 time thing. but had to try it. good luck with yours and lets us know how it goes.

Return to “WILD GAME PROCESSING”